• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question about cleaned coins...

2 posts in this topic

Maybe you can help allay my disappointment. Just had two circulated Morgans returned "no grade" for cleaning. Naturally I'm disappointed, and if I am to believe the dealer who sold them to me (an NGC dealer who also sent them in for me), he was very surprised as well.

My question...do you see a high percentage of circ coins sent in getting no grade for cleaning ? I imagine that not many circs are sent in except for key date stuff...but I'm also thinking a lot of collector date stuff out there these days had been cleaned in some fashion over the years.

Thanks

PJ,

Circulated morgans are frequently encountered cleaned. It can be more difficult to detect the cleaning on circulated coins because the wear may conceal it to a point. Very minor cleaning can be overlooked but improper/harsh cleaning, though perhaps only visible at certain angles, would typically be returned ungraded. I suspect this may be the case on your coins. We realize a circ coin isn't expected to be perfect but are also sensitive to what a buyer might expect in a professionally graded (NGC) coin. Problem free, uncleaned, circ coins do exist and you will find them if you are patient and learn what to avoid.

John