• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

German Victory Over France Talers

9 posts in this topic

At the conclusion of the Franco-Prussian war, victorious Germany issued four Victory Talers dated 1871. The German States that issued them were Bavaria, Prussia, Saxony, & Wurttemburg.

While the mintages aren't exactly large, finding nice uncirculated examples has proved to be very difficult.

Mintages:

Bavaria: 150,000 (Proofs also minted)

Prussia: 880,000 (Proofs also minted)

Saxony: 45,000

Wurttemburg: 114,000 (First Strikes minted)

Bremen: 61,000

I've been trying to put together a set of these in gem condition for quite some time. It only took over a year to find my first example (Saxony) which I was lucky to get from an eBay seller overseas. It was already graded MS65 by NGC. This is a coin that is usually beat to hell and back.

1871-saxony.jpg

Today, my second Victory taler arrived. A Wurttemburg currently graded PCGS MS65. This coin will be going to NGC very soon where I expect it will cross into an MS66 slab, as it is that nice.

1871-wurttemberg.jpg

Very nice. May I have them? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Thank you. I would let you have them, but you don't deserve them. These are rare coins.

In a box of coins I had, I found a 1981-D SBA in MS65 that I'll let you have for Ask. angel.gif

"In a box of coins I had, I found a 1981-D SBA in MS65 that I'll let you have for Ask"

OK, I'll ask for the 1981D SBA. Now, can I have it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

TRUTH.

"In a box of coins I had, I found a 1981-D SBA in MS65 that I'll let you have for Ask"

OK, I'll ask for the 1981D SBA. Now, can I have it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

TRUTH.

Yes, you can have it. Ask is $3.50. Please include $3 for S&H. I accept PayPal.

Nice Wurttemberg, and Great Pics 893applaud-thumb.gif Proofs of the Wurttemberg also exist; I'm not sure about the Saxony. Also, don't forget to include the Bremen Victory Thaler in your set. - Prussian

I knew I was forgetting one of them, but couldn't remember which one. foreheadslap.gif I also didn't feel like looking thru one thousand citystates in the Krause to find it. 27_laughing.gif

For the Wurttemberg, I assumed that First Strike meant proof, but wasn't sure. I've also seen some super strong PL 19th century German coins called proofs. I still prefer business strikes over proofs as I like the fact the coin wasn't minted specially and had to survive over time in a nice condition.

I knew I was forgetting one of them, but couldn't remember which one. foreheadslap.gif I also didn't feel like looking thru one thousand citystates in the Krause to find it. 27_laughing.gif

Weren't up to some light reading, huh? insane.gif I don't blame you.

As for the Proofs, in some cases it is virtually impossible to distinguish (with absolute certainty) between the nicest P/L First Strikes (EA, Erstabschlag) and actual Proofs. Some of the EAs are amazing. Even Karl Stephens has told me that in some cases it amounts to a judgement call. Most of my Thalers (85-90, mostly Prussian) are business strikes, but I do have several Proofs, mostly Prussian. Some have stronger Proof characteristics than others...so who really knows for sure? Nice coins, anyway smile.gif - Prussian