• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auburn Ma. Coin Show Report

5 posts in this topic

Turned out to be another busy show, especially considering the beautiful summer weather. Attendance seemed strong, not packed in like cattle, but busy and bustling.

All of the dealers, except one (claimed to have had a GREAT show), who attended the ANA in SF were ho-hum with that show, which went along with what I heard during the week, on the phone. Not a ton of new coins came back, or so it seemed. At this level anyways.

I was able to sell a fair amount of coins and buying was ok as well. Again, for the middle of the summer, busier than I would have expected.

Toneddollars stopped by with some eye candy and Tom B. made the trip, but unfortunately, I didn't have the oppurtunity to really chit-chat with Tom, as I was fairly busy all morning. When I came up for air, Tom seemed to have left the premises, but not before showing me a few of his purchases, which I'll let him share here if he wishes.

I always enjoy chatting with Roadrunner at this show as well.

All in all it was a good show and things seem to be rolling along as Baltimore approaches.

It was nice to see bigD5 and Toneddollars at the show, even though we weren't able to hook up for an extensive conversation. I had my father-in-law with me and his primary objective in visiting us was to see his 18-month old granddaughter, so we only spent an hour or two at the show.

This was the first show I did at Auburn, MA, but it is in the same hotel as the old Connecticut Numismatic Auctions from the late 1990s that were run by Fred Serafino, so I knew exactly where it was.

Floor traffic was okay, and the tables had some action, but I wouldn't say it was tremendously busy. One dealer had some very scarce coins throughout his case. This dealer's inventory might serve as a warning to those enamoured with the TPG grade since his 1802 Draped Bust half was graded EF45 by PCGS yet looked to me that it had been cleaned rather thoroughly at one point and then toned over long term storage in an album. This is the type of coin I would avoid yet if one were only to go by the TPG it might end up in a collection.

I was able to buy two interesting pieces and I'm not certain whether I will keep them or sell them so I don't want to hype them in the thread. Overall I had a good time and look forward to the September show.

Daaaaaaave, you know that isn't true! Auburn, MA happens to be 75 miles from my house whereas Parsippany, NJ is 170 miles. Also, my in-laws had just driven to my house from FL the day before so no one was in the mood to pour on more miles.

By the way, did you see in the Numismatist that Alex Molochko passed away? frown.gif He was a good guy and had a table at Parsippany just across from Tom Hyland, against the wall near the snack bar. I liked Alex. frown.gif

Tom: OK, we'll forgive you the next time we see you! (p.s., it really is safe to come back - Jeremy's really gone!) grin.gif

I confess that I didn't know Alex, so I didn't know he was missing. I'm sorry to hear that he's gone.