• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what coin are you thinking of selling and WHY?

10 posts in this topic

is there a specific coin in your collection you have desided to sell?

and why are you selling?

the coin has apprecaited? it just does not appeal to you? or maybe it is a coin you want to upgrade?

comments?????

sincerely michael

For me it depends on a couple weeks from now as that's when my 3 Saints I sent into NGC come back home. I bought one gorgeous one as a PCGS MS-63 that I'm crossing over that depending on how it crosses I'm going to sell ASAP as the return on the investment (gamble?) will be well worth it.

Oddly enough, another of the Saints I sent in (a PCI AU-55), regardless of outcome I don't plan to ever sell as it was the first one I ever bought. I had started collecting when I was 15 in 1991 and wanted like MAD to have a $20 Saint (one reason, it was big and gold, the other reason, the design of course). So after quite a long time of saving, we went on a trip to Hawaii a couple years later (November 1993). The trip just happened to fall on the big show they have in November at the Queen Kapiolani in Honolulu and was the first really BIG show I had been to. I bought it there for $410 and plan to keep it. It may not be the best one ever minted, but that one is MINE regardless of what passes through my hands during the rest of my life.

I don't go out of my way to sell some of my duplicates, but I do when others pm me asking for certian grades and dates...

I have some coins in my Peace $ set that have been upgraded, so the lower grade coins are now theoretically available for sale. However, I'm torn between selling them to get some capital to do more upgrading vs. keeping them because they're still great coins even though I now have better ones. It's sort of like wishing you could keep your first car even though the one you drive now puts it to shame; the old one has sentimental value that can't be replaced.

Barry,

I know how you feel. I tend to become attached to my coins also as I am very picky and will only buy a coin that I find appealing in the first place. Over time though, if I do find another coin that is more appealing then the original I will sell the original to offset the cost of the replacement.

The only time I would not do this is if the original coin has some appealing attribute that is truly unique, such as beautiful toning.

I always have to keep telling myself that I can’t keep everything. frown.gif

I'm (slowly) selling many of my high grade Contemporaries and choosing instead more Classical Coinage.

Just a personal preference, there really is no rhyme or reason to this decision.

sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!! pat you are a very astute smart collector

you will be rewarded for this current insight of yours!

of course i happen to agree with your phylosophy of what you are selling and then what you are buying currently!

sincerely michael

That's probably a good move.

High End (Super-grade) current issues seem like more of a fad in the market right now. While it will do good for the market on the whole for the fad to be here, for the individual, it could very soon reach the point of bigtime losses.

I find myself wondering more and more about the grading companies and why we have started to see more and more 70 grades. It wasn't too long ago that the grade of 70 was considered "theoretical" in nature... something always thought possible, but completely unlikely at the same time.

I've looked at the images of the PR-70 1963 cent in the magazines and wonder how it got a 70 to begin with. How is it that a "reputed" (not NGC in this case) company is grading more loosely on the upper end, yet undergrading in other cases. SOmething doesn't seem "right" to me.

Like many of you folks, one day I just decided to dig my way out of the deluge of coins that were suffocating me so I decided to sell some.

I have a Peace $ collection as well as a registry of Buffalo 5C ( 1934-1938).

I decided to sell off everything else and concentrate on registry sets. That will not only keep me focused but it will upgrade my coins AND give me more money and room for the books that I also collect.

What I've learned so far is that there are far more people collecting coins than books and most everything I put up for sale,finds a home...unlike books that usually have to be relisted several times or juggled from category to category.! smile.gif

Thanks Mike and Matt. You know what kind of did it for me? About eighteen months ago I was just finishing a complete PCGS Modern (1950 to date) MintState Registry. It was in the top five All Time Finest.

I had just purchased a 2000 Jefferson in PCGS MS67FS when it struck me.

I looked at the coin and then looked at some of the raw Jeffersons I had in my Dansco and in all honesty couldn't justify the $175.00 I had just spent vs the .35cents for the raw one in the album. They looked the same!

I then studied other coins I owned and realized, "OK- It's one thing to enjoy my super Low Grade problem free type- that's cool. But it's another to pass on to my children a set of slabbed coins that just might be tough to sell down the road." That thinking changed the course of my collecting goals.

Oh, I still own some cool Moderns- coins I enjoy for their beauty (mostly rainbow toned slabbed Ikes/Kennedies, and the such) but the MS68 1999-D PCGS Lincolns and the like are being fazed out in favor of earlier, Classic scarce coins. Coins with pizzazz and history. Coins I'd be proud to pass on to my children and not be afraid of them being laughed at when it came time to sell.

(((Well, other than those "Worse Known" types!! Hey, the kids can't have it all!)))