• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1621 Switzerland (Zug) Taler

10 posts in this topic

This is the second of my two highlight purchases from the recent ANA show in San Francisco.

It is a 1621 Switzerland Taler from the canton of Zug. It is listed in Davenport as #4633A and in the Krause as KM-32 (page 1264).

dav-4633a.jpg

The coin is in nice condition and while not super high grade, it is the type of coin that doesn't come along too frequently.

The obverse features the Archangel Michael and the reverse features the crowned double-headed eagle.

A Karl Stephen's purchase? Or did you expand your horizons with other dealers? I had several very good purchases just asking to look in boxes of "stuff"

TRUTH

...the reverse features the crowned double-headed eagle.

cloud9.gif

The Swiss cantons became formally independent of the Empire with the peace of Westphelia in 1647.

How do you know the archangel is Michael? They all look so similar I can't tell one from another.

A Karl Stephen's purchase? Or did you expand your horizons with other dealers? I had several very good purchases just asking to look in boxes of "stuff"

TRUTH

Nope, it wasn't a Karl Stephens purchase. In fact, I spent very little time at his table. I did get an Italian Ducato from him, but didn't have time to look thru his boxes.

How do you know the archangel is Michael? They all look so similar I can't tell one from another.

Because Krause says it is Michael. confused-smiley-013.gif

Good enough for me. thumbsup2.gif

It may be Michael's assistant, Freddy.

Congrats on the find.

Very cool, as it just so happens just last weekend I decided to start a collection of the coins of Zug. I have yet to make a Zug purchase and came on the board tonight to ask if anyone knew a dealer who tended to have Swiss coins in general and Zug coinage specifically.