• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1652 Coinage

6 posts in this topic

I've recently decided to try to collect the 1652 3pence 6pence and shillings. I've noticed that the 3 pence and 6 pence are the hardest to find. However, the price of the shilling (usually) is higher than either the 3 pence or 6 pence. I started my collection of the 3 with a nice PCGS AU-55 3 pence. Here's the picture.

Any comments as to why the shilling is more expensive than the harder to find 3 and 6 pence pieces? Anyway, I think the whole series seems to be undervalued and I might as while buy them while they are "affordable".

894305-1652.jpg.a17c2a08ccf23b8aacf01ddb2e6454e2.jpg

The coin has a nice look and is a high grade. thumbsup2.gif A shilling was quite a bit of money back in 1652. Maybe the mintage was substantially less. I can see a 3 and 6 pence coin trading on a regular basis in commerce, much like a 25C and 10C coin in the late 1800's, thus a great need.

TRUTH

Jim,

That is a great coin. I had the pleasure of once having six coins dated 1652 in stock simultaneously. There's nothing quite like owning a pine-tree shilling. (Actually, I like the oak-tree coins myself).

It's a very difficult series to collect. If you are serious about pursuing these early silver issues, I would strongly urge you to consider membership in C4 (Colonial Coin Collectors Club). Here is a link . One of my good numismatic friends in the club owns an astounding collection of Massachusetts silver, one of the finest collections in existence, but many of the members own pieces.

Good luck! I'm glad you've stumbled up on such a great part of early American numismatics.

James