• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peace $ registry set now includes proofs...can we have a 2nd set?

10 posts in this topic

With the addition of Bob Moreno's wonderful Peace dollars (which include the VERY rare proofs), the registry set composition now includes those proofs which make it virtually impossible for anyone else to have a set that is listed at 100% complete. How about adding a second registry set composition, like "Peace Silver Dollars, Business Strikes and Proofs", and returning the existing set composition to only business strikes? Thanks for listening....

Peace_Fan,

I have a complete set of business strike peace dollars that is not listed in the registry because they are raw, but I agree that there should be two sets. One for the business strikes only and another, which includes the proofs. It seems this is only fair for those who do have coins listed.

John

I agree with you guys. Some folks prefer either proof or uncirculated but not the other. Others simply can't afford to collect both. Having a full set of either only to have it show as 50% complete is a drag. I'd advocate three registry sets - proof, mint state, and both. The evil geniuses at PCGS do this, but it seems a good idea nonetheless smile.gif.

Beijim

• Administrator

I don't see why we couldn't do this. The details of Bob Moreno's set were submitted to me including the proofs and I thought it would be a shame to exclude them. So, I just added them to the set description. Dave Lange is at the Santa Clara show but I will talk to him about having three sets for Peace Dollars (MS, PF and MS/PF) when he returns.

Thanks for the input!

smile.gif

• Administrator

You're probably right. Maybe the solution is to offer an MS set and a MS/PF set. It might not be necessary to have a PF only set. Is that what you were thinking?

With only the type sets as the exception, what is offered for all sets seems to be separate MS set and PF sets.

Personally, I think it'd be kind of neat to offer a mixed MS/PF set that allows proofs in place of Philly [or Branch Mint in the case of BMP's], but that would be up to NGC. Not sure what the demand would be.....

It certainly makes sense to have 2 Peace Dollar sets, particularly since there are only a handful of sets that can contain the Peace Dollar Proofs. My books are still packed from moving, but if memory serves me correctly, one or two of the Zerbe proofs are only a very few specimens extent. That certainly limits the field if you are to include the proofs.