• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PVC problem?

2 posts in this topic

Attached are photos of an 240/337a Civil War Token which has something on the Obverse. It shows up on the date and around a few stars at 11:00. I've included pictures at 10x, 60x, and 200x magnification of the trouble areas. I've never run across PVC problems, is this one? Can NCS successfully treat this type of problem?

Thanks, JDC

891730-Token4.jpg.dfd11f4539bef8c3bc70cb46f0397092.jpg

It is difficult to tell exactly what is on your coin from the image whether it is PVC or another type of corrosion. In either case I am going to go out on a limb without seeing the rest of the token and actually seeing the piece and say that we likely could help it.

Tokens are frequently seen with PVC residue. Their lower value in relation to standard coins have led them to be stored historically in lesser holders and with lesser care than their standard coin counterparts. There is a chance there has been some PVC etching where the residue has eaten into the surface of the coin but that situation is not common.

If the problem on your token is another type of corrosion, we could at the very least stabilize the spots to prevent them from becoming worse in the future. At the very best, we would be able to remove the spot completely. The determining factor in how successful the conservation would be is how much the corrosion has become a part of the token.

Chris, NCS