• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok I find this E-bay auction to be a little crazy!!!

24 posts in this topic

If this coin ends up a normal 1882, 83, or 84 some one's going to be out some $$$!

Serves who ever right

Most likely it will be common date and no better than an MS64 after grading.

When I gamble, I like to know what my odds of winning are, not just you could win… 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

And if I dropped 623 bucks, (or lots less even) on a GSA dollar it would already have a blue stripe around it that says at least MS65 on it.

But if some one can so easily throw hundreds of dollars at what I feel is a slim chance of breaking even much less scoring the big one…

…well more power to em, what ever flips the old switch, eh?? confused-smiley-013.gif

...What would you do assuming you had this drop into your hands?

Just what the seller did, put it up on ebay and laugh all the way to the bank. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I wonder if you could x-ray it or something like that to see the year? Not all GSA had CC's in them so it may be wirth even less!

I would have to find out what was in there!

As an x-ray tech, I conclusively say that "no" you will not see the date since the entire planchet would block the x-rays and you would see nothing but a round, white circle. Even with cat scan technology, it would be almost impossible, however, in theory, it is plausible using CT if the scanner was capable of performing sub-millimeter slice thicknesses and then reconstructing an adequate plane with which to view the date.

This is just a form of marketing hype such as unopened proof sets from the late '50's and the early '60's. Chances are that these sets were originally bought in bulk and random samples were taken from the lot to get an idea if there were any cameo examples.Just extra money for alot of hype. But, then again, I broke fifty million to one odds a few months back when I won $7500 by hitting 7 of 7 numbers on triple bonus pay @ KENO.

I wonder if you could x-ray it or something like that to see the year? Not all GSA had CC's in them so it may be wirth even less!

I would have to find out what was in there!

As an x-ray tech, I conclusively say that "no" you will not see the date since the entire planchet would block the x-rays and you would see nothing but a round, white circle. Even with cat scan technology, it would be almost impossible, however, in theory, it is plausible using CT if the scanner was capable of performing sub-millimeter slice thicknesses and then reconstructing an adequate plane with which to view the date.

This is just form of marketing hype such as unopened proof sets from the late '50's and the early '60's. Chances are that these sets were originally bought in bulk and random samples were taken from the lot to get an idea there were any cameo examples.Just extra money for alot of hype. But, then again, I broke fifty million to one odds a few months back when I won $7500 by hitting 7 of 7 numbers on triple bonus pay @ KENO.

Thats cool, I didnt know that about x-ray! Im just a machinist but Ive allways wanted to take a crack at the machine the mint uses to transfer the engraving on to the master die!

New owner says he is leaving it sealed until his daughter turns 16 (she is 2 now)...But the curiosity may kill him.

Mike

The curiosity will kill him. Especially if his daughter finds it and turns it into a teether blush.gif

Thats cool, I didnt know that about x-ray! Im just a machinist but Ive allways wanted to take a crack at the machine the mint uses to transfer the engraving on to the master die!

foreheadslap.gif Just a machinist?! foreheadslap.gif I've always had the impression that that was a cool job!

foreheadslap.gif Just a machinist?! foreheadslap.gif I've always had the impression that that was a cool job!

Dont get me wrong its a good job but I work with aerospace parts and most of the time the total tolerance I have to work with is + - .0005 of an inch Christo_pull_hair.gif

I dont think I could go 14 years with out cracking a peak at the coin!!!

I see what you mean. It does seem so anal for the uninitiated. I remember in the Navy, we had a rotor turned to shave off a mere 1/1000th of an inch, but, it was important.

p.s. I got out 15 years ago today after six years active duty. Yeah. And how many times do you think that I've regretted that decision?

Hint: I make more in one year as a radiologic technologist traveler than I did my entire six years active duty.

Another hint:

then: 888830-banassride.gif888830-banassride.gif888830-banassride.gif

Now: yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

888830-banassride.gif.863e4e0ca8703eb4ff86397cc2f7a55b.gif

I see what you mean. It does seem so anal for the uninitiated. I remember in the Navy, we had a rotor turned to shave off a mere 1/1000th of an inch, but, it was important.

p.s. I got out 15 years ago today after six years active duty. Yeah. And how many times do you think that I've regretted that decision?

Hint: I make more in one year as a radiologic technologist traveler than I did my entire six years active duty.

Another hint:

ROFL!!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Please Victor don't make funnies in the morning. I almost just spit my starbucks mocha frappuccino all over the computer and my new keyboard mouse and mouse pad. 893naughty-thumb.gif

So how does this whole traveling radioligist thing work anyway 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Another hint:

Please Victor don't make funnies in the morning. I almost just spit my starbucks mocha frappuccino all over the computer and my new keyboard mouse and mouse pad. 893naughty-thumb.gif

So how does this whole traveling radioligist thing work anyway 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hayden, read your e-mail once in a while!

Chris

Another hint:

Chris

devil.gif

My name is Travis 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Another hint:

Chris

devil.gif

OOPS! Sorry, Travis, I didn't mean to insult you. Where in the H#LL am I? Old age can really suck sometimes!

Chris

Another hint:

Chris

devil.gif

OOPS! Sorry, Travis, I didn't mean to insult you. Where in the H#LL am I? Old age can really suck sometimes!

Chris

Yes you did insult me! You should send me an apology ms69 PCGS morgan grin.gifstooges.gif

That's ok I did steal his sig line. I found something new but it will be back in a few days. devil.gif

Another hint:

Chris

devil.gif

Chris

Yes you did insult me! You should send me an apology ms69 PCGS morgan grin.gifstooges.gif How about a 1905-CC? Very rare!

That's ok I did steal his sig line. I sent Hayden some new pics. Wait until you see those! Hayden? Hayden, are you listening? I found something new but it will be back in a few days. devil.gif

Another hint:

Thanks, Trav. I appreciate your appreciation for my humor. wink.gif

Radiographer is the appropriate terminology. I travel all over the country mainly as a cat scan tech but occasionally I do x-rays and MRI's but I much prefer CT. They pay a great hourly wage, tax-free car and food daily allowance and free rent/utilities and travel pay.

So, you want to become Trav the Traveler?

Another hint:

Chris

devil.gif

Chris

Yes you did insult me! You should send me an apology ms69 PCGS morgan grin.gifstooges.gif How about a 1905-CC? Very rare!

That's ok I did steal his sig line. I sent Hayden some new pics. Wait until you see those! Hayden? Hayden, are you listening? I found something new but it will be back in a few days. devil.gif

How about a new case of starbucks frapppucino? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Another hint:

Thanks, Trav. I appreciate your appreciation for my humor. wink.gif

Radiographer is the appropriate terminology. I travel all over the country mainly as a cat scan tech but occasionally I do x-rays and MRI's but I much prefer CT. They pay a great hourly wage, tax-free car and food daily allowance and free rent/utilities and travel pay.

So, you want to become Trav the Traveler?

Does it come with a prehistoric, megabeast-sized Hamster 893scratchchin-thumb.gifgrin.gif

Also how do you spell your first name ?

Anyway sounds intresting sleeping.gif

JK! grin.gif

So how long do you stay at where you are? What kind of edjumacation do you need?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Another hint:

Chris

devil.gif

Chris

How about a new case of starbucks frapppucino? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's nice of you to offer, but I like plain, old regular (not decaf) coffee.