• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much should this Morgan go for???

10 posts in this topic

Nope...AT stay away.....the grade is probably suspect as well. This seller has been referenced as one that sells [embarrasing lack of self control] over on the PCGS forum.

If you purchase this coin....I can almost guarantee you will regret it.

The colors don't look right or more specifically...the pattern of the toning is very suspect especially on the obverse where it looks like a chemical was wiped on with a q-tip.

My best advice would be to stick withj certified toners until you have seen enough of them to know what to look for. It's not an exact science, but when you look at enough NT toners........you should be able to determine AT vs NT a very high percentage of the time.

Also check out Atcoins.com:

ATCoins.com

and also the TCCS (Toned Coin Collector Society):

TCCS

Thanks Shane-----This seller has had what has looked like some really nice high grade Walkers for sale lately. I have emailed the "gentleman" and he swears that the coins are "original". But I have had my doubts as---if they were OK----why were they not holdered?? So, up to now, I have refused to buy anything from him. Now, with this 1878CC, it would seem that my judgement is apparently correct. I do a lot of "lurking" on the PCGS boards and have not seen anything neg about him. So I must have missed it. His pictures are always colored in such a way that you can never tell whether the coin has "hairlines" or whether it has been cleaned or not----clever photography for sure. Anyway, I agree that this 78CC looks AT. These boards have once again proved themselves invaluable to all of us. As I have said on these boards many times, the Ebay pictures can be either your greatest help or your worst nightmare. Thanks!! Bob [supertooth]

I looked at the AT web site and put the pics side by side with some of the A/T Morgans and I can see how it looks like an A/T, the way it lays on the surface does not look right!

Thanks for the web site and Im going to be studying it for some time but for now if I do by a toner it will be in a NGC or PCGS holder unless you guys give the OK 1st!

Is there a site that has some Morgans that have been dipped or cleaned so I can see how they look?

Thanks again guys, I think you have saved me some $$$ because I think I would have gone after that one

poke2.gif

David

Glad I could help........don't know of a site that shows dipped and clean Morgans...but here are a few tips.

If it's a hundred years old and it's blast white.......there is a high probability that it has been dipped. That especially holds true with Morgans. Now a quick dip to remove some unsightly brown or black splotchy toning isn't always a bad thing and if done properly it should remove very little luster and eye appeal from the coin.

If the coin is heavily toned........you would most likely remove all of the luster in your attempt to get rid of the toning....if you were even successful in doing so at all.

So what does a cleaned coin look like.........look for a lack of cartwheel luster...hairlines.......shiny surfaces where there is obvious wear on the surface. You will find a lot of coin with obvious wear on the high points, but the entire coin has the same uniform appearance and lacks luster......once you see it a few times....you can spot it a mile away.

A coin that was as nice as that one looked would more than likely been slabed! I have bought from this seller before. His grading is a little over the top. Also just about every coin he has pictured has basicly the same amber toning. As for the color of this piece, it is prob. OK but I doubt that it looks like the picture. I looked at this coin and decided to pass myself..

Here is one that I just picked up! It is already on its way to NGC!

1879o.jpg