• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I can't take it anymore. What does VAM stand for?

11 posts in this topic

Obviously I am new and still learning. What does VAM stand for. I have read descriptions on Ebay that talk about cracked dies etc. There are numbers associated with this term. Where can I find information about this. Is it in the Red book, or a coin grading book?

The term comes from the initials of Leroy Van Allen and A.George Mallis, who researched die varities and collaboratively published The Guide to Morgan and Peace Dollars. They later wrote The Comprehensive Catlogue and Encyclopedia of U.S. Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars. VAM numbers refer to specific die varieties in those series.

VAM = VanAllen -Mallis

Leroy VanAllen and A. George Mallis pioneered the identification of Morgan Dollar die varieties in the 1960s. They published a book in the early 1970s which later became the "VAM book":

The Comprehensive Catalogue and Encyclopedia of U.S. Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars

Each year and mint mark of Morgan dollar has a listing of known die varieies and these are described by VAM number. This book has excellent articles about the creation and minting of Morgan Dollars. Your local public library may have a copy.

George Mallis passed away in December, 1999.

Try www.vamlink.com to read more about VAMs.

ah my inquisite one cloud9.gif

vam is van allan and mallis vam they are two old time collecytoes that wrote a book on morgan die vartites and it is extremely popular today and still is and growing by leaps and bounds as evidenced by the huge price increases as of just the last three years or so

here you go my hungry numismatist

http://www.bestcoin.com/Top-100-Morgan-Dollar-Varieties.htm

I have been discussing this chat board with a friend. He is astounded with the amount of help and information you all have been giving me. Will try to look this VAM stuff up.

Thanks again

All depends on the US mail service. Received Red book, and coin grading book, waiting for Loupe. All of you have been so helpful.

You think your brain hurts now? Just wait smile.gif There are hundreds of VAM's not listed in the Encyclopedia or in the top 100. There is also the Hot 50. Then there are the updates from 2004 on Ashmore.com. (This is a great site, it has tons of great pics!!) Then if you like 1921's, there is Rob Joyce's site. It's great too!! Then there are all the new discovery coins from 2005 crazy.gif If you need help getting to either of these sites, let me know.

It can be very fun, or very frustrating, or both!!

Just one tidbit to start you off......all Morgans are VAM's. It is the combination of dies used to mint the coin. Some of the dies had problems, these are the interesting ones. wink.gif

Have fun, and ask questions. I love VAMs cloud9.gif

Michael; I noticed that the top 100 list still has the 3 fake micro "O" mint Morgans on it! Doesn't this stuff ever get updated???

I have a 1888 VAM#16 which is listed as a Hot 50! I check the NGC census and they don't have a VAM#16 listed!?!? I called NGC Customer service and no one at NGC knows if that one is recognized or not! I must give them some benefit because Most of the folks with the knowledge are out on the "Left Coast"! Oh well!

Here is a nice 1880-S VAM #11 "0/9" overdate! I guess I will send this one to NGC as well!

DSC03183A.jpg