• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IMO This trade dollar is selling cheap!

6 posts in this topic

Only 700 proofs minted!

You would think this coin would be selling for a larger chunk of money. What's the story here?

Leo

That is a decent price for the grade/color. I am amazed, like you, that so many low mintage, 19th century proof coins are so undervalued. But, like all markets, it boils down to supply and demand. When is the right time to buy? When the market is low. So now, pre 1915 proof coins are a bargain since they have done very little since 1998, unlike the modern market.

That price seems to be in-line with recent heritage auction prices. In fact some in the same grade have sold for a little less. ($1,840 on Jan. 15, 2005)

When looking for my trade dollar I saw a lot of proofs over a couple of years and PF63 was my target grade. From what I have seen I think that the price is right for that coin, it’s pretty, cloud9.gif if it wasn’t so colorful that coin sells for hundreds less.

I said it before, these coins are relatively cheap for how few there are around. There has been a slow and steady rise in the value of proof trade dollars over several years that I have seen from auction archives. If the folks who pay 3 grand for a silver bullion coin start taking to these old proofs and buying them up the price could skyrocket. 893whatthe.gif

People might start paying insane money insane.gif as they crawl over each other to suck up the few thousand coins that really exist. stooges.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifmakepoint.gif

A total of 11,404 proof coins were struck from 1873 to 1885, with the average annual mintage of 1035, not including the years 1884 & 85 when only 15 coins were struck. Now that’s a lot rarer than many coins that have far greater mintages but sell for as much and more. It would seem that proof trade dollars just aren’t as popular as other issues. confused-smiley-013.gif

oh they are popular and highly desirable type coins especially so the proof only years in the early 1880's

try to go find out with decent eye appeal let alone avobe average eye appeal hard to find 893whatthe.gif

882210-81tradeUC.jpg.8c102b46abc52ae4d67a6d7a7375405a.jpg