• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Listing 5-6 steps for slabbed proof Jeffersons...

8 posts in this topic

I think it's a good idea. Of the top 3 grading services, only ANACS has 5-6 steps desigations for proof Jeffs. With the high pops on proof nickels, having 5-6 steps designated by NGC and PCGS will generate new interest (and value) in this series (especially for the moderns, and brilliant nickels minted prior to 1976). Collectors, dealers, and slabbers would all benefit.

Thoughts?

Gosh, another price point for Jefferson nickels. What fun! We can also do FT or FB proof dimes, FBL proof Franklins.

The 1982-S rev. of 1977 or 1981-S is a tough one. This proof does pop up every so often but locating one with 5 sharp steps can be a challenge. And then there's the 6 stepper that's a stopper!

The SMS 1965 to 1967 are difficult to locate in 5 to 6 steps. And the early wavy steps of 1938 to 1940 are tough in 6 steps. Other then the proofs mentioned in that year old thread, 1981-S T2, 1991-S and a few of the 1950's proofs may give you some problems.

But whether the other grading co's start designating steps on proofs is something that leans more towards an advanced collector. And besides, if the coin isn't listed in the one and for all register sets, who's going to collect such coins? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Leo

And besides, if the coin isn't listed in the one and for all register sets, who's going to collect such coins? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Leo

I will. laugh.gif

I couldn't care less about registry sets. Though I like NGC's policy of including both NGC and PCGS coins. laugh.gif

And besides, if the coin isn't listed in the one and for all register sets, who's going to collect such coins? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Leo

I will. laugh.gif

I couldn't care less about registry sets. Though I like NGC's policy of including both NGC and PCGS coins. laugh.gif

They should include raw coins as will! What would they have to sacrifice for a guy to upload a nice coin! 27_laughing.gif But I have solved that seemingly small problem with the following link!

By the way, do you know where I can find a very nice 1972 6 stepper? wink.gif

Leo

Leo

I sure do. It's in an NGC MS65 5FS holder. tonofbricks.gif

I thought it was a 6 stepper! Just send that gem to me and I'll send you a real 5 stepper.

Leo

Leo

I sure do. It's in an NGC MS65 5FS holder. tonofbricks.gif

I thought it was a 6 stepper! Just send that gem to me and I'll send you a real 5 stepper.

Leo

I thought it was too, but when I looked at it closer under a loupe and a tensor light, NGC had gotten it right. It's a definite 5FS. Still, it's a very nice coin. ANACS goofed.