• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help with what is probably a token?

4 posts in this topic

I took this to the NGC board and was told it was probably a token and that maybe someone here could help me with information on it. I guess there was a book about tokens but, it went out of print so.....since it's probably the only token I have and the book may be hard to find I'm hoping for some input. Here's what I asked: 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

"I have a 1915 Pan-Pac Commemerative coin but, I can't find the type to save my life. It isn't gold and it isn't silver. I would guess it's bronze and the picture doesn't fall under any I've seen so far and I've spied all over the registry and I don't even see a Commemerative catagory that would cover this type of coin. HELP! It's a gorgeous coin(in my opinion) with the Lousiana Building on one side and the San Francisco 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition words circling it and on the other side is another beautifully detailed castle/building and a circle with a bird in a nest feeding her three young and the words For Louisiana Exposition Fund....Union Justice Confidence circling all of that(sorry for the run on sentences).

Please help. How can I find anything out about this coin or, do you have any information. The strike and detail is great and it has been sealed probably since my husbands great-grandfather bought it."

confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Thank you flowerred.gif

What you have is a "So-Called Dollar", #408 and made of Bronze! These "State Fund Dollars" were issued and sold to raise money to build the State buildings for the 1915 Panama-Exposition. It isn't a coin so it doesn't have a place in the Registry. You can find Louisiana So-Called Dollars on eBay from time to time. The value would be a guess but the Louisiana So-Called Dollars aren't very rare! Also there were other states that issued these things, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Montana, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee! Some of these can sell for several hundred each!

Thank you so much, that's exactly what it was, I now am watching it as the one I have is in much better shape. Thanks to you there's one less coin I'm pulling my hair out over flowerred.gifyay.gif