• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading of double date

2 posts in this topic

I have a 1931 Mercury that has a strong double date on it. I have not been able to find a record of this variety anywhere. I would like to know if it is worth getting graded. The problem is I do not beleive that it will grade any higher then VF-20. Is this a known variety? Thanks

There is a 1931 D Doubled Die that is recognized by both NGC and NCS. This variety is listed in the Cherrypicker's Guide by Bill Fivaz and J.T. Stanton.

If you are unsure of the grade of the piece, I would recommend sending it to NCS for encapsulation. If there is an irreversable surface condition such as an improper cleaning or environmental damage, your coin will be given a grade of its details and a description of the problem. If your coin will grade with NGC as a problem free piece, it will be encapsulated by NGC. The variety plus service to have the doubled die listed on the label is available through either encapsulation service.

Chris, NCS