• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good old fashioned coin pic post thread

80 posts in this topic

Drool ...envy... Drool ...jealousy... Drool

All of you make me wish I was sole heir to the Walton business!

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Chris

K6AZ care to give a few pointers on how you make the coins look so good? you really got the luster on that coin...

I'm using a Nikon D70 SLR with a Sigma 105mm macro lens. This allows the lens to be about eighteen inches away from the coin so you get better lighting. I'm using a pair of 75w Sylvania Daylight Plus halogens.

I just need to expierment more with my digital rebel and a 2nd light.... my one ott is good... but a 2nd light source is needed....

I just need to expierment more with my digital rebel and a 2nd light.... my one ott is good... but a 2nd light source is needed....

I also have a digital rebel and I usually use a single Reveal bulb. I do have two of the Daylight Plus bulbs that I use for some coins. I typically have more trouble getting the pictures to look right when I use two bulbs than I do when I use only one.

If you do try two lights you need to use two of the same type of light. Trying to mix an Ott light with another type will probably give you white balance problems.

Light is ultimately your friend. Although you can use a mirror to create a second light source. I know Eric swears by the dayflood but I've got all my pics just from regular incadescent. Of course, since none of our monitors are calibrated to each other it's hard to say who is seeing *exactly* the same image.

K6AZ: Niiiice. That top one kind of reminds me of a rasberry tea I was drinking yesterday. The deep red is outrageous. 893whatthe.gifgrin.gif

jom