• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Father's Day Gift: 1696 Augsburg 1/2 Kreuzer

10 posts in this topic

How about that, in my first year of being a father I received a pretty good gift, have a look:

867451-1696GermanyAugsburgHalfk.jpg

It's a 1696 half kreuzer from the German free city of Ausgsburg. It came all the way from Germany which explains the delay. It's struck in silver (likely low grade) and the last year of issue for the type, Krause values it at $45 in VF with nothing listed higher. The dealer described it as "prachtexamplar stempelglanz" and I'd agree. It's well struck and nicely centered. The fields are quite clean. It has a thick "skin" which does kind of dull any luster it may (or may not) have. I'm sure gmarguli would dip this sucker in an instant! All in all a great addition to the collection.

I have a handful of these small uniface coins and find them quite neat. This is my third Augsburg coin, a popular state for me as I like the pinecone design.

Are they uniface by design or by wear? Is that a dumb question?

Are they uniface by design or by wear? Is that a dumb question?

They're that way by design. It's fairly common on very low value coins, probably not worth the effort to put a device on both sides.

And a few picures of the gift giver, he's 11 weeks old an 16 pounds.

Here he is at 9 weeks, one of the first times he was able to lift his head:

868573-At9weeks.JPG

One of him liesurely sitting on a couch:

868570-Thanks.JPG

And one taken on the 4th of July. I like the outfit!

868571-TheFourth.JPG

Cute. He looks like you. thumbsup2.gif (I won't report you for the illegal costume.)

I like the coin, can I have it? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Perhaps for stupid money...

I've had a pretty good week for my collection. In addition to this one, I won a thaler on e-bay, bought two coins from Karl Stephens and another six that came with the one above.

I like the coin, can I have it? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Perhaps for stupid money...

I've had a pretty good week for my collection. In addition to this one, I won a thaler on e-bay, bought two coins from Karl Stephens and another six that came with the one above.

Since we're buddies, I assumed "have" it meant you would give it to me gratis. My birthday passed a while ago and I didn't get any presents. This coin would make a great present. thumbsup2.gif BTW, I got my first Karl Stephens fixed priced list in over 10 years. I immediately called and ordered 6 Mexico coins. The 7th coin was already sold. frown.gif Still waiting anxiously for the package, and I'm all giddy.

TRUTH

Since we're buddies, I assumed "have" it meant you would give it to me gratis.

yeahok.gif

BTW, I got my first Karl Stephens fixed priced list in over 10 years.

One of the nice things about living so close to Karl is that I get the list a day before anyone else. I called up and reserved my stuff on Friday, July 1st.

What did you get specifically? I went for these two:

#267 Austria Hall 20 kreuzer, Veiled bust M Theresa, Lovely Lt. Toned BU

I have on of these already in average UNC but it has adjustment marks across the bust. These coins are very tough to find nice, so hopefully this will be a step up.

#531 Germany Bavaria 16Z4 2 kreuzer, Max I Sharp Frosty Lt. Toned BU

I've passed on a few of these beacuse of poor centering. I just love uncirculated silver minors from the 1600s.

I also have a few picked out to use his "10% off your second order" coupon with. thumbsup2.gif