• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Liberty 50c

10 posts in this topic

Jp------- Check everywhere and see if you can find a copy of Bruce Fox"s book on Walkers. It is out of print and retailed for about 40 bucks. Great book!!

Also the new ANA grading book would be good or even a copy of Photograde that has been around since 1970. The Mag----"Coins" also gives detailed pictures of how one grades. It gives a different series each issue.

Walkers are my thing. So I wish you well. Bob [supertooth]

Thanks Suoertooth, I have the book on order.I sent five Walkers in for grading [NGC] a year ago and got two MS 65 and two AU 58 and one body bag. The AU 58's I could not see the reason for. I see Morgans with all sorts of nicks make MS and a Walker with great luster and no marks gets AU 58...

Your best bet would be an ANA guide,the pictures Photograde guide,well put it this way:even I can take a better picture...and that's saying alot!

The Coins pics are even worse...

ANA and Photograde will help with the circulated grades. The PCGS grading book can help with the MS grades. But the best way is to get exposure to the real things. If you can find a show or dealer with differently graded morgans you can learn a lot by just looking and remembering the look for each grade.

Jp------ Au58 and MS63 can almost be one and the same. When I started out, others would tell me this and I did not understand it at all. But a 58 will have most if not all the detail of a 63 coin. The only difference is usually a couple areas of "slight" rub. These areas are the center of the Eagle"s breast and the tip of the left breast [right as you look at the coin]. Tilt the coin a few degrees from the side and usually you can see some rub on that breast. Also, the center skirt lines or the head area or the very tips of the Eagle"s wing might show just the slightest wear. In the old days another term was "cabinet friction". If a coin was in a felt lined box, many times it would show slight hairlines or wear in the above areas. There is another Walker book to buy also. Written by White. Small book but shows these Unc. features very well----about 12--15 bucks. It does a great job explaining about these "subtle" differences. Do not be discouraged---it takes many years to really get good. Just keep looking at coins and more coins----in slabs and out of slabs. Heck, even now, after many years, I reread these two Walker books by Fox and White. It is a great reminder and keeps you on your toes. Bob [supertooth]

Way to go Viktor for bringing up that old thread. If Jp reads that, it should help him a lot. Many good points were brought up. It is amazing how each of us can describe how we have come to our understanding of these grading points. If you sum total all of them---and understand how each person is thinking---then you can pretty much put it together and come to an acceptable criteria for grading these beautiful coins. This thread is how it should be----guys trying to help other guys to get better. GREAT!!!!! Bob [supertooth]