• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An ethics question

18 posts in this topic

If you AT a common modern coin have it slabbed then put it on Teletrade where it sells for hundreds of dollars is that wrong? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

EDIT: I have not done any of this it is a semi-hypothetical question grin.gif

Of course; in my opinion it's no less wrong than any other alteration. Fooling the TPG does not absolve you (it just makes you more dangerous). boo.gif

Of course; in my opinion it's no less wrong than any other alteration. Fooling the TPG does not absolve you (it just makes you more dangerous). boo.gif

But isn't it kind of like dipping a good coin to make it white?

Aren't you really giving the market what it wants?

You dont force people to pay stupid money for it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But isn't it kind of like dipping a good coin to make it white?

Aren't you really giving the market what it wants?

You dont force people to pay stupid money for it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A man can justify anything but certain areas are still black and white.

Yes. There will be those who will say it is not the seller's responsibility to reveal the fact but I believe it to be wrong regardless. What is a gray area for me, though, is what to do with coins you put into a favorable environment to tone (where the result is not known - like putting a coin in an old holder or envelope not including "helps" like sulphur powder and direct sunlight/heat) when you want to sell them.

If you AT a common modern coin have it slabbed then put it on Teletrade where it sells for hundreds of dollars is that wrong? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for clarifying with the edit; but, I'm unsure what you mean by "semi -hypothetical." confused.gif

Not if you work for QVC or SaH. Then again, if you did work for one of them, I doubt anyone here would want to have this conversation with you.

Did you ever wonder why the ANA has an ethics clause in their membership agreement? Does anyone know if NGC has an ethics clause in their CS membership?

To me, your use of the phrase semi-hypothetical gives me the impression that you are wondering if the rest of us would look the other way if you tried to rip someone off. Count me out.

Chris

Not if you work for QVC or SaH. Then again, if you did work for one of them, I doubt anyone here would want to have this conversation with you.

Did you ever wonder why the ANA has an ethics clause in their membership agreement? Does anyone know if NGC has an ethics clause in their CS membership?

To me, your use of the phrase semi-hypothetical gives me the impression that you are wondering if the rest of us would look the other way if you tried to rip someone off. Count me out.

Chris

I was originally going to edit it and say it was a hypothetical question. Than I thought I have AT'D 5 coins. All of those atempts were just to see if I could possibly make a not half bad looking AT coin. They were were worse than your average EBAY AT. They were really lame AT jobs.

A very grey area in the coin hobby. Some altruistic numismatics believe anything applied to the surface of the coin is 893naughty-thumb.gif, while removing surface impairments is considered acceptable. Most believe dipping is acceptable. However, some of the most beautiful buffalo nickels available have AT application, so it may be considered "artwork". For me, the artificial toning application to cover up alterations, repairs or defects of a coin surface is 100% fraud. However, some AT applications on silver coins is simply beautiful and I would not hesitate purchasing the "right" look, for the "right" price. One needs to know what original color looks like in order to compare the "new" color.

TRUTH

Reged: Jun 12 2005

Re: An ethics question [Re: midwest]

#867921 - Sat Jul 09 2005 06:30 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Of course; in my opinion it's no less wrong than any other alteration. Fooling the TPG does not absolve you (it just makes you more dangerous).

--------------------

IGWT

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

many so called coin people that frequent these and the pcgs boards do it all the time totally wrong and dishonest aND with no ethics or morals and some are even in positions of trust of public safety and they have a higher standard to be held accountable to and even if they were not in these positions it is still reprecensible behavior

well such is the coin game i hope for some profit their souls and character are worth it and it is not like they need to do this to buy food as they are starving to death

but life is only about choices and eventually you will have to pay for all you do on this earth

The flaw of your question I think is there is no NT coin that can pass both an experienced collector's eye and a TPG. It's just impossible to do and come up with a fully rainbow colored coin that's AT but not easily detected. Now I do agree there are many documented NT coins which appear on the boarderline and get body bagged, but that's not the question. I really believe that anyone who sees Bob Campbells video, for sale from the ANA, on AT/NT coins can tell the difference.

So is it wrong, yes. Is it easy to do? No it's next to impossible without leaving either many tell-tale signs or making an ugly brown or blue or blow-torched looking coin.

If you want to see real NT coins by the hundreds, google TCCS Society-

Its tonedcoins.org (not com)--After looking for awhile, the NT premium coins start to be easier to tell.

It's hard to fool Mother Nature!! boo.gif

The flaw of your question I think is there is no NT(sic) coin that can pass both an experienced collector's eye and a TPG...I really believe that anyone who sees Bob Campbells video, for sale from the ANA, on AT/NT coins can tell the difference...

So the graders at NGC/PCGS are newbies?

thh.gif

wink.gif

Lets see - you are going to buy a modern coin for a few bucks. Then you are going to AT the coin and then try to sell to an unsuspecting collector for a few hundred dollars - and you are asking if this is ethical ?????

I guess I would call it like this, Either you can be a respected numismatist who contributes positively to the hobby or you can be a slime ball who is just looking to get over on fellow collectors, forever ruining alot of coins along the way, for the sake of the almighty buck. Either path you chose you have plenty of company - the choice is yours.

Lets see - you are going to buy a modern coin for a few bucks. Then you are going to AT the coin and then try to sell to an unsuspecting collector for a few hundred dollars - and you are asking if this is ethical ?????

I guess I would call it like this, Either you can be a respected numismatist who contributes positively to the hobby or you can be a slime ball who is just looking to get over on fellow collectors, forever ruining alot of coins along the way, for the sake of the almighty buck. Either path you chose you have plenty of company - the choice is yours.

Very well stated.

Either path you chose you have plenty of company - the choice is yours.

If he chooses to take the wrong path, would someone please be sure to lock the gate behind him?

Chris

Here is the thread that I read that started it all link

What is funny is that I actually ran by a lot of those coins while doing some searching on Teletrade. I thought they looked kind of funny mainly because to me all wildly toned moderns are suspect. Of course on a few of them I thought maybe the TPG knows something I don't 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you need me I will be at Wal-Mart buying a cast iron skilllet and some washers

grin.gifstooges.gifyay.gif