• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good Way to Store Coins for Display?

5 posts in this topic

I just moved into my first apartment because I'm starting grad school in the Fall in a state far far away from the house I grew up. When I was at college, I just left my collection home. But now, I brought a sizeable chunk of it with me, especially folders and tubes of coins that I actively collect (mainly the circulating ones), though I did leave most of the really valuable ones at home, like my 1914-D MS64 double eagle. And so now I have a problem of what's the best way to store/display them.

At home, they gradually expanded to take up three full shelves of my closet. I kept very few loose coins, and eventually even those I placed into Air-Tite packages (for the good ones) or plastic ones (for the crummy ones). Other than that, everything's in a tube or folder, or Mint-shipped package (e.g. proof sets). In my apartment here, I have much less space, especially closet space. I would like to keep the coins safe, but easily accessible (because I actively trade out and add), and well-displayed.

The only thing I can really think of is getting something like a $20 shelving unit of 3 shelves or so and then putting that in my closet and putting the coins there. But that doesn't really appeal to me.

Does anyone have suggestions, advice, or is in the same situation and has come up with a solution? Thanks!

That's a dilemma that many face, i.e. security vs display. If you are going to have alot of traffic through your place then I would seriously consider leaving them at home. You should always be security conscious.

It is an easy dilemma to solve. If you want to keep your collection protected and safe, spend a few hundred bucks for the security of a bank vault. Keep your entire collection in it. Grad school will be over before you know it and you'll have the rest of your life to enjoy your collection, that is, if you still have it. Security has never been a high-priority item in housing markets that cater to college students.

Take a breather from your buy/sell/upgrade routine for the time being. If you should happen to come across an acquisition that you absolutely must have, by all means, go for it. But, be sure to take it to the bank! If your financial situation is such that you MUST sell before you buy, be straightforward about your circumstances. You may be able to make special arrangements with the seller. It never hurts to ask. Right, Hayden? smile.gifthumbsup2.gif

Chris

Well, first I don't plan on having much foot traffic at all. And the coins I brought with me are year sets and circulating coins - the kind where I go through change from the day and compare with what I have, and swap out those that are of better condition. I am taking a breather from buying coins, except for my yearly Mint purchases.

So, I'm actually not quite as concerned about security, but more storage ...

So, I'm actually not quite as concerned about security, but more storage ...

Me, I'm an album freak and prefer a nice, organized collection. Dansco sells pages with quite a variety of sizes from 3 cent silvers to 50mm and more. You can buy the various pages and customize your album. Another option are "Eagle" albums with c. 2X2 slots which will accept Eagle's plastic holders with mylar windows or "Airtight" or "Kointain" holders.

2X2 holders

Eagle proof set folders

Various google links