• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think this Bust Dollar should grade? (My scanned images)

16 posts in this topic

Hi ER! Glad to see you're stil into the early dollars!

By variety, I believe it grades Extremely Fine, but by type, it might only get VF-35. It looks like a fantastic coin.

James

VF? No way. There is only light wear on the high points. I would grade it EF45 based on the picture. It could grade AU if there is still a good amount of luster remaining.

Thanks guys for your comments. Hi James, nice to see you. Yes, I'm still loving the early dollars. This would be the third set I'm putting together.

This coin is the BB168, B22 variety, with that very interesting full horizontal die crack on the reverse. According to Cardinal, it's an R5, with about 80 known. Going thru Heritage's archives, there have been 18 of this particular variety passing thru their auction block the past 9 years. This particular coin went thru twice, in 2002 and earlier this year, when I bought it.

The reverse of this coin, I'd give it a solid 45. The obverse shows central striking weakness, giving it the impression of a VF coin, but the wears themselves are limited to the high parts, and some of the stars still show their central elements.

PCGS graded it a VF25.

Should I send it in for a regrade? Cross to NGC? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hi ER, it's nice to see you posting on these boards, too. Normally, I grade the coins in question before I read the results, but in this case I had already read what you wrote. I think the coin looks like an EF and that unless PCGS net graded it due to a cleaning that the coin is vastly undergraded.

By the way, this is a terrific variety! thumbsup2.gif

Attempt the cross to NGC. PCGS DOES NOT grade bust material properly, because they grade all bust coins by type - though NGC is erratic as well. However, I believe it you pay extra for the NGC attribution, they will realize that this variety is inherently weak due to the wasted dies, and you might get the proper grade. Consider ANACS, too.

James

ER1799bb168-o2.jpg

ER1799bb168-r2.jpg

Photo not found. Does photobucket limit the number of days an image is hosted? Perhaps use your own webspace. If you have an ISP, you more than likely have your own webspace to use. I am disappointed frown.gif to not have been able to see your coin.

Jonathan

I am not big on cracking out coins for resubmission but in this case I would. Sending this coin to NGC with the variety designation should net a much better grade. I would only send this coin to ANACS if I felt it would be BB at NGC.

ER1799bb168-o2.jpg

ER1799bb168-r2.jpg

Photo not found. Does photobucket limit the number of days an image is hosted? Perhaps use your own webspace. If you have an ISP, you more than likely have your own webspace to use. I am disappointed frown.gif to not have been able to see your coin.

Jonathan

Jonathan, it's fixed. Sorry, the link was broken because I renamed and moved things around in Photobucket.

ER1799bb168-o2.jpg

ER1799bb168-r2.jpg