• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Ideas for New Column

48 posts in this topic

Wow!

JMaden

At 07/17/03 04:56 PM, you came up with a title and by 2:07PM the next day, that afternoon, it's finished? Did you have time to grade any coins? 27_laughing.gif

By the way, nice article. Although I have yet to read it in it's entireity, so far. it's been good reading.

Stamps? Who collects stamps? no pun intended, of course. 27_laughing.gif

Leo

I actually wrote it about a week ago.....

I really enjoy writing but don't fancy myself a writer because it takes me 3 to 4 times longer than it would take Dave Lange to crank out an article of similar length.

I know it's long, but I wanted to tell a complete story and hopefully make a point or two in the process.

It's still hard for me to believe the degree to which the stamp market has deteriorated since I was a collector.

Many, if not most coin dealers had at least some stamps. "Zeps" would frequently be put on proud display at major coin shows.

You never know.... it could come back someday.

Not to say there isn't some sort of market now, but it sure isn't very visible to me.

I also collected and was a dealer in comics for a while so you anti-comics coin guys can make jokes about that too! Before you do though consider this...... the San Diego ComicCon which is taking place now as I type this, the ANA equivalent if you will, has already attracted 70,000+ paid attendees I am told and there is two days remaining before the show is over. I recall that at the last one I attended the entry fee wasn't cheap either....

I remember seeing many Zeppelin and other early Airmail stamps at coinshows in the 1970's. That market deflated faster than the dot.coms. I sold some early US Commems, US early Airmail and First Issue Canadian Airmail stamps (all NH very fine, centered) a couple years ago and got about 30% of the lowest grade Scott price the carrion-eating Jackel dealer could snivle me out of.

I came back a couple hours later and this same stamp Jackel (dealer?) was snickering and showing his "score" to the other clerks in the coin and stamp store. He did not even recognize me. Because of this and other experiences, I would not collect stamps if someone held a gun to my head.

Maybe someone needs to encapsulate higher market value stamps. That would end this cheating S--- that has gone on for so long with the stamp-dealer Hyena class. Those were (!) the "good old days" that some people so fondly remember. When Collectors were sheep for the shearing and dealers were wolves in cheap suits.

Before you do though consider this...... the San Diego ComicCon which is taking place now as I type this, the ANA equivalent if you will, has already attracted 70,000+ paid attendees I am told and there is two days remaining before the show is over.

Yeah, but that number is misleading. It's so much higher because most of the attendees had to go to the show with their mom.

How many does a major coin show (Long Beach, ANA, etc) attract?

Greg,

I knew you would be the first to make a snide remark, gotta love it though! smile.gif

I believe ANA attendence is a miniscule fraction of what the San Diego And Chicago ComicCons (the two largest) draw. I don't want to pump comics on the coin board but going to one of these "Cons" is an incredible expierience even if you don't like comics!

Also, as much as you have fun poking, I'd like to see you holding a Near Mint Spiderman Comic from the 60's in your hand, reading the goofy ads in the back, and even smelling it and remembering that smell of cheap paper, then have you look me in the eye and tell me that vintage comics (especially high grade) aren't incredibly cool.

John

As a kid, I used to collect comics, sports cards, stamps and coins. My most serious were stamps. What I liked most was being able to read the many volumes of the entire Scott series, and learning about stamp-making processes, inks, postmarks, envelopes, etc.

Someone once gave me a huge bag of original envelopes, and I proceeded to soak off the stamps. About a week later, I read about how special original envelopes and postmarks can be. frown.gif

EVP

I believe ANA attendence is a miniscule fraction of what the San Diego And Chicago ComicCons (the two largest) draw. I don't want to pump comics on the coin board but going to one of these "Cons" is an incredible expierience even if you don't like comics!

Also, as much as you have fun poking, I'd like to see you holding a Near Mint Spiderman Comic from the 60's in your hand, reading the goofy ads in the back, and even smelling it and remembering that smell of cheap paper, then have you look me in the eye and tell me that vintage comics (especially high grade) aren't incredibly cool.

John,

Comics just don't do it for me. I used to read a couple of them when I was a young kid, but that didn't last long.

I like something with history. Something that tells a true story. An 1803 50¢ can do that, but a Spiderman can't. I'd probably find the ads goofy, but the comic itself uninteresting. Maybe it's because when I grew up all these comic book characters were already on TV and I'd watch those instead of read about them.

And I will admit that I own some comics. I have a small one (maybe 4" by 6") from the time of WW2 and I have a box of probably 50 from I believe the 1960s that I purchased at an antique-style shop. I only purchased them because they were old and the owner, who I knew quite well, didn't bother to look thru them and figure out if they are rare. In the 10-15 years I've had them, neither have I. blush.gif

I've been planning on going down to San Diego for some time. Maybe I'll get down there when they have the ComicCon and take a look.

John, I really liked your article! In all seriousness, I would like to see the same type of article written by Mark Salzburg, Rick Montgomery, and the other NGC graders. It provides insight into the people at NGC, which I think builds confidence and interest in the company.

Just a thought...

Andy laugh.gif

Andy,

I agree, and that is one of the reasons I chose to take it to a more personal level than a more typical article. I will pass your thoughts on to the other graders. Glad you enjoyed it!

Greg,

Comics have history to tell as well, they just don't go back as far as coins. Comics from the Silver Age bring me back to the 60's and my childhood. You should mark San Diego on your calendar for next year, and if you have kids bring them. You will be blown away.

John

Most subjects on grading have already been overwritten about already, and there's only so much you can say about coins. I would suggest something of REAL interest like articles about the new 2003 Edicion Limitada cigars from Cuba, or articles in general about why Cuban cigars are the finest in the world, and why 98% of the people in America who think they are buying and smoking Cubans are actually smoking cheap counterfeits, but wouldn't know the difference anyway.

So far, the 2003 EL's such as the Romeo y Julieta Hermosos #1 and the Hoyo de Monterrey Pyrimides have been fantastic, and the new Cohiba Prominente Edicion Limitada is coming out in late July and should be out of this world as well.

dragon

Hi, Dena,

How about a topic discussing the differences between the RED, RED-BROWN, and BROWN designations for those copper coins that are borderline between one grade or the other. Does the technical grade influence it`s color designation? How much red is just enough? How much is not enough? How much brown is too much? These are questions that I`m certain many collectors would like to have answered.

Sincerely,

Reid1836