• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My latest Morgan arrival

25 posts in this topic

So are you planning on spending alot of time over here till you get your alter-id across the street?

27_laughing.gif

That's a beautiful piece,most people only appreciate Morgans if there DMPL or outrageously toned,but you've got to admit that the real beauty is in the coin itself. thumbsup2.gif

BTW When are you going to "paint" this one to go with the rest of your collection? insane.gif

-Hayden

This type of toning is pretty common on the 1901-1904 issues, I've had quite a few.

As far as alt IDs, I don't use them. They don't want me on that board, fine, I'm finding myself reading it less and less each day.

I'll be here and on RCC in the future.

I think it is. It's in a old PCGS green holder as a MS65. There was a guy who posted about it across the street, said the seller wouldn't take it back and he was considering leaving a negative for the seller. I told him I'd take it for what he had in it, so it worked out for everyone.

Indeed, sometimes these can be very beautiful. How is the overall flash?

As for the other board, I found it easier than I expected not to return. These boards aren't as busy but my life is too busy right now anyway.

It has the luster from underneath the toning, it's hard to photograph. This is a very nice coin as a 65. I guess some people just don't like them this way, but I do.

I think that's a very attractive Morgan and I was stunned to read that the buyer was thinking of leaving a negative on it!

I think that's a very attractive Morgan and I was stunned to read that the buyer was thinking of leaving a negative on it!

Well we caught him in time and he eventually left a positive. The rule of thumb is if you don't see a return policy, assume there is no return or ask first.

This is a really nice coin and I'm pleased to have it for the $220 he had in it.

Many collectors like Morgans bright and shiny but I will take an original coin over a shiny one everytime!!!

Well we caught him in time and he eventually left a positive. The rule of thumb is if you don't see a return policy, assume there is no return or ask first.

This is a really nice coin and I'm pleased to have it for the $220 he had in it.

Yes,I'd say you got a good deal on it.Why was the buyer going to leave a neg.?It's a beauty...

Hayden, this type of toning doesn't appeal to everyone. Also, the seller incorrectly described it as red, when in fact I would classify it as copper/bronze toning.

Hayden, this type of toning doesn't appeal to everyone. Also, the seller incorrectly described it as red, when in fact I would classify it as copper/bronze toning.

That's understandable,the seller didn't want to refund monies?

That's understandable,the seller didn't want to refund monies?

That's the jist of it. Told the buyer that it was an auction and he wasn't going to accept a return.

Nice original coin, does look like standard envelope toning. Glad it worked out for everyone too, and you got it much less than today's Trends (CoinValues). smile.gif

It looks great to me. I might be disappointed if I had expected it to be "red" but I would still have kept it for $220. You both came out okay on this one. Thanks for sharing it. Great photography on it as well. I know people probably always ask you, but what kind of photography set up do you use? Camera? Lights? Thanks for any input.

Jonathan

I'm using a Nikon D70 SLR with a Sigma 105mm macro lens. For lighting, I use two PAR 24" goosenecks with Sylvania Daylight Plus PAR30 halogen lamps. The stand is a Bencher Copymate II with a heavy duty carriage.

I'm using a Nikon D70 SLR with a Sigma 105mm macro lens. For lighting, I use two PAR 24" goosenecks with Sylvania Daylight Plus PAR30 halogen lamps. The stand is a Bencher Copymate II with a heavy duty carriage.

Thanks for posting this info. Something to strive for in my set up. I am using two Ott lights and no stand. I use a Nikon CoolPix 2100 with built in macro. It works fairly well. My Canon A85 will not do close ups even though it also has a macro mode.

Thanks again for posting.

Jonathan thumbsup2.gif