• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a waste of a trip.......well, not entirely!

4 posts in this topic

It was great seeing Ray Overby again and the $5 BBQ was yummy but then again, I was really hungry. Other then that, I didn't find anything much worth getting excited about. There was a so called collection of toned full step nickels in an old album I didn't recognized but the set was far from being a full step collection. Yes there were some interesting toned nickels in the group but most were understruck and the P nickels were mostly proofs. There were about 3-5 coins that I really liked and they were also shy of full steps but the seller didn't want to break up the set and I didn't want all those coins so I didn't make an offer. I was thinking 100 or 2 but when I went by that table again, he had it for sale at $4900. 27_laughing.gif

Another seller still had his $5000 1969-D and having another look at the thing, I lost interest. But the seller was talking and told me the story on how he found it and so on, how another dealer had told him that he could name his price for that coin, $10,000 is what he was told but he wanted only $5000. But I know the guy's was full of it when he started talking about giving me a 20% discount but then he takes this long deep sigh, shruggs his shoulders and gives me this painful look as he tells me that he'll let me have it for 4 ($4000 that is). Of course, all my laughing face muscles wanted to attack this guy but I manage to hold it back. Now I'm also remembering how another dealer had talked him down to $2500 and now he thinks I'll take it for $4000. And does the guy remember I only offered $100 for the coin in St Louis? And now, I could care less abut the coin! 27_laughing.gif

There was a very nice colorful NGC MS67 5FS 1950-D for sale at $1700 at another dealers table and a raw high grade full step 1943/2-P at another table for $695.

For myself, I only picked up a fully struck MS63 1955 with 5545 steps.

I left about 2 pm in search of chinese food and after a 45 minute drive, I order beef but ended up with chicken. foreheadslap.gif Oh well, the people were nice so I didn't go back and complain.

Leo

Leo,

I've never met Ray but have talked at great length with him many times. Super nice and knowledgeable! Then again, I've never been to Chicago where he lives or did you meet up with him somewhere else?

What was up with the 69-D? Poor strike, hits, nicks, not FS? Slabbed by...? Not interested for myself as I'm out of collecting, but my collecting brain is piqued. Did you make offers on the 50-D or the 43/2?

Was that BBQ for breakfast then chicken for dinner? grin.gif

I figure if you're only offering $100 for a 69-D "FS" nickel, it ain't FS. tongue.gifmakepoint.gif (And it probably doesn't look all that great either!)

Hoot

I figure if you're only offering $100 for a 69-D "FS" nickel, it ain't FS. tongue.gifmakepoint.gif (And it probably doesn't look all that great either!)

Hoot

The coin had no destracting marks, fully struck with a suggested 6646 step count but it's more like a 6535 with a nick on the last stack of quarters. SEGS has it graded MS64. I wanted the coin because of it's strike and condition and of course, there were a alot of steps but not for what the guy was asking.

I saw Ray at a table and came up behind him and made a joke about how he was searching for nickels. We talked awhile until I told him that I had to get going and as I was leaving I added, to keep ahead of you on the tables, bye! 27_laughing.gif Of course, Ray and I collect a little different from each other as I'm looking for EDS stuff and he's looking for high grade stuff. We hit a table about the same time and I showed him the 1943/2 P, I already have one and so does Ray so it was no big deal. If I saw something there Ray could use, I would not have hesitated sending it his way.

We caught up with each other again in the lunch room and talked for awhile.

Ray is a great colletor and friend, it was great running into him again.

Leo