• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Southern New England Coin Show Report

9 posts in this topic

This was my first show that I have ever attended. There were about 30 tables at the show in Hartford, CT. The show started at 9, and was crowded when I arrived at 9. Things quickly died down, probably within 45 minutes at the most. I did not see a whole lot of buying. I only saw a handful of people handing over money, many just seemed to be looking. I met some real jerk dealers, a couple who threw coins back. Many barely recognized my presence ( I think because I was the youngest person in there by 20 years). Some beautiful seated proofs for sale. However, not much of a gold or key date selection. I managed to find an 1877 IHC in G6 by PCGS. I picked it up for $535. Pretty good price. The dealer seemed shocked when I told him I was buying it (again with my age I think). An alright show, but I am looking foward to the NY Inv. next week. Anyone else going?

Nick

Thanks for the report. Don't sweat the jerk dealers - ignore them and find dealers you like to work with. By the way, can you elaborate on your "threw coins back" comment?

I would bet that the next time you go to this show, the story of your purchase will have gotten around and the dealers will be friendlier - everyone likes a "live one"!

I went to the NY Inv. last year, but don't have the time to go this year. It's a very high end show, so if you want to see 19th century proof gold and high relief Saints, etc., it's a great show.

Admission is $10 each day, unless you have a discount card.

i was showing a couple coins that I was selling ($50 retail or so) and a few dealers just threw them onto the table. They didn't even have the decency to hand the things back. Just tossed em on the table. What kind of etiquette is that? Yea, hopefully word will have gotten around that I am interested in coins and can afford a decent piece (I only work 60+ hrs. a week). I heard admission was $10 for both days this year and that with a discount card, it is only $5.

Many dealers treat coins like they were just garbage. You ought to see some of the slabs I get. Pieces broken off, so scratched up you can't hardly see the coin inside the holder. I have even had coins that have rotated so much in the holders that the plastic was scraped off of the inside of the holder and rolled up in little balls!

The throwing is just because it takes energy to bend over and reach to hand something back when a quick toss will do...

I've seen dealers throw slabbed coins back and forth when they're doing wholesale business, but I've never seen a dealer do that to a collector.

I think it's unacceptable and would recommend you not go back to those dealers - there are many other fish in the sea - you can find other dealers to work with.

Too bad you met some jerks at the show. The 1877 IHC, however, sounds like it might be a very nice coin. Any chance of us getting an image of it sometime? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif