• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883-O Morgan - PCGS is tighter than NGC?

9 posts in this topic

I bought this coin from Tim Puro a while back in a NGC MS62 holder. For the heck of it, I cracked it out and sent it to PCGS, who graded it MS63.

1883o_ngc62_1836676033_obv.jpg

The eye appeal makes it an upper end 62 to me. But I think if it was regular white it'd be a 61/62. But that's great eye appeal. smile.gif

Perhaps it's just the lighting, but there appear to be quite a few scuffmarks on the coin for an MS63 grade. How is the reverse? No doubt the graders at PCGS let the toning forgive some of the facial imperfections.

I was counting on it coming back as a 62. I gave it a very outside shot of 63. The reason I pointed this out is all the talk of PCGS tightening their grading, which obviously isn't the case, at least with Morgans.

This is unquestionably an MS-62 coin to me. That's an awful lot of surface abrasion in the right obverse field for a so-called "choice" coin. I do believe that PCGS is more apt to give a slight push to coins with attractive toning, though. But honestly, I think both services grade Morgans about on par, though I also think many nicer NGC coins get cracked out for submission to PCGS.

James

You might pop it out and send it to NGC and they might grade it MS63 as well! There isn't a lot of difference in MS62 and MS63, IMO. If you had asked what grade? I would of said MS63 anyway. The coin has nice toning and the value would be about the same MS 62 or '63, also IMO... Nice coin...

I believe NGC is the best, I haven't bought a PCGS coin in 8 months, although I'm looking at a PCGS MS-69 Vietnam commem. Wish it were a NGC graded commem

vn-1.jpg

vn-2.jpg

No big deal----PCGS upped an 83O NGC63DPL to 64DMPL for me, but was hard on rarer dates. Basically I don't think they give much thought to grades if there's little value difference between 62 and 64 like this one.

I guess they think it makes up for any ones that they're being dumb on in the rest of the submission.