• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Island Commem

12 posts in this topic

The toning spots on the obverse turn me off and the reverse looks to have lots of action on the sails. Can't say I see any wear on the coin by looking at the pictures but I suspect it is a lower grade MS. The price jump on Long Island starts at MS65 so I would suggest you find a nice MS64.

Long Islands can be found either white with very nice luster, or often with some impressive toning.

Since you asked for comments I hope I have not offended you with MHO.

I would be interested in what PCGS said on this coin.

"Since you asked for comments I hope I have not offended you with MHO."

I would rather have an honest opinion telling me I was about to screw up than an ego boost that let me screw up.

Those small spots don't bother me too much, but I have gotten pickier over the years and I would probably pass for a nicer one. The sails are often where scuffs show up first on these and it looks like there are some nice ones on this coin. It is hard to tell from the small images though.

Like has been said, pick up a nice MS64 if you want the most for your money. I recently sold this one on ebay.

LongIsland.jpg

It's an NGC MS65 but maybe not the most attractive toning you can find on these. I also have an ANACS MS64 that I picked up for less than a third of what that one sold for and I think it's more attractive. Sorry, I don't have a picture of that one yet.

There is a long, deep scratch through the back of the head of the Dutch settler and that would bother me on this coin. The obverse spots, though distracting, would not in themselves disqualify the coin. However, the combination of the spots and the scratch would preclude my buying it.

There is a long, deep scratch through the back of the head of the Dutch settler and that would bother me on this coin. The obverse spots, though distracting, would not in themselves disqualify the coin. However, the combination of the spots and the scratch would preclude my buying it.
The toning spots threw me off so I did not even look to see the scratch on the head. PASS.

The toning spots threw me off so I did not even look to see the scratch on the head. PASS.

I'm still looking for the scratch on the back of the head and I just don't see it. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm still looking for the scratch on the back of the head and I just don't see it. confused-smiley-013.gif

It is not exactly on the back of the head. Look above where the ear would be. I did not see the scratch at first either. But that is why I like this place and getting a second and third set of eyes to look at stuff.

There is an area near the top of the head that looks like a gash. I did notice that but when I compared it to other coins I realized that was part of the design. I think the lighting makes it look like damage in that particular picture.

If that's not what you are talking about then I'm afraid I still don't see it. Maybe if I put a loupe up to the monitor...