• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974-D Lincoln Cent
1 1

11 posts in this topic

When you say "doubling", I assume that you mean die doubling, which is the only kind that may have significant collector value. There are other, common forms of "doubling" on coins, notably strike doubling, a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling, that are of little or no value to serious collectors. See Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC

Your images are too blurry to see clearly, but your 1974-D cent does not appear to exhibit die doubling. Moreover, there are no known significant doubled die varieties known for 1974-D cents, which would be listed on NGC VarietyPlus, Lincoln Cents, Memorial Reverse (1959-2008) | VarietyPlus® | NGC, or in the Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties. It is unlikely that any new significant varieties would be found after 50 years. Additional, minor varieties may be listed and illustrated on such sites as doubleddie.com or varietyvista.com.

Here is an example of what a coin struck from a significantly doubled die looks like, this one being the major 1972 doubled die obverse cent variety listed in the Red Book:\

1972DDcentobv..thumb.jpg.26fae0c3fb7a5587b4af8a9eb2d59451.jpg

Thank you for answering my question. I am using the resources provided and quickly learned how valuable such information is to individuals like myself who know little to nothing about the hobby. The 1974 D Lincoln Cent is not listed in the Red Book as a Double Die. If it's not listed in the Red Book as a known double die, does the variety not exist? 

Picture_20241026103847.jpg

On 10/26/2024 at 2:29 PM, NewEra said:

The 1974 D Lincoln Cent is not listed in the Red Book as a Double Die. If it's not listed in the Red Book as a known double die, does the variety not exist? 

The standard edition Red Book only lists the most well-known and popular die varieties. (Die varieties include doubled--and other multiple image--dies, overdates, repunched mintmarks, overmintmarks, different sized or styled mintmarks, and other characteristics of coinage dies.) There are additional, still somewhat marketable varieties that are listed in more advanced print guides such as the Deluxe ("Mega Red") edition of the Red Book (some), the three volume Sixth Edition Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties (still more), and online at NGC VarietyPlus, and PCGS Coinfacts. There are still more minor varieties, in which there is little interest among most collectors, listed on websites such as those I mentioned in my previous reply. (There are also guides for varieties of specific series of coins, especially earlier, mostly pre-1837, types, into the dies for which the letters and numbers were punched by hand.)

As a new collector, it is important for you to master the basics of U.S. coins, for which the standard Red Book will suffice.  You should also note that due to changes in technology there are few significant doubled die varieties for U.S. coins dated after 1996 and no repunched mintmarks or other mintmark varieties for coins dated after about 1990.  

Edited by Sandon
omitted redundant words

On 10/26/2024 at 1:50 PM, Sandon said:

The standard edition Red Book only lists the most well-known and popular die varieties. (Die varieties include doubled--and other multiple image--dies, overdates, repunched mintmarks, overmintmarks, different sized or styled mintmarks, and other characteristics of coinage dies.) There are additional, still somewhat marketable varieties that are listed in more advanced print guides such as the Deluxe ("Mega Red") edition of the Red Book (some), the three volume Sixth Edition Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties (still more), and online at NGC VarietyPlus, and PCGS Coinfacts. There are still more minor varieties, in which there is little interest among most collectors, listed on websites such as those I mentioned in my previous reply. (There are also guides for varieties of specific series of coins, especially earlier, mostly pre-1837, types, into the dies for which the letters and numbers were punched by hand.)

As a new collector, it is important for you to master the basics of U.S. coins, for which the standard Red Book will suffice.  You should also note that due to changes in technology there are few significant doubled die varieties for U.S. coins dated after 1996 and no repunched mintmarks or other mintmark varieties for coins dated after about 1990.  

Thank you for the guidance. I appreciate the wealth of information you provided.

On 10/26/2024 at 11:49 AM, RWB said:

Fuzzy photos of an ordinary cent.

The photos of this ordinary cent were taken with an ordinary Android. I'm sure you have the latest iPhone. I applaud Apple for creating a camera capable of breathing life into photos. 

On 10/27/2024 at 2:30 AM, NewEra said:

I'm sure you have the latest iPhone. 

Actually, I don't have a "smartphone" and don't intend to get one. I use a digital microscope that plugs into my PC. For most coins, I need to place the microscope on top of several books to get a full coin image, but it works.

On 10/27/2024 at 8:12 AM, Sandon said:

Actually, I don't have a "smartphone" and don't intend to get one. I use a digital microscope that plugs into my PC. For most coins, I need to place the microscope on top of several books to get a full coin image, but it works.

Fair enough. I will try my best to take better photos. And I advise against owning a smartphone. They are a complete distraction. 🙃

On 10/27/2024 at 2:30 AM, NewEra said:

The photos of this ordinary cent were taken with an ordinary Android. I'm sure you have the latest iPhone. I applaud Apple for creating a camera capable of breathing life into photos. 

Your "ordinary Android" can take sharp photos. The coin you posted is pocket change - nothing more. No one here can give you their best information unless you post sharp photos.

(I have a 12-year old flip phone. Does everything I want it to do.)

On 10/27/2024 at 11:12 AM, Sandon said:

Actually, I don't have a "smartphone" and don't intend to get one. I

AMEN BROTHER  !!!  me either