• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting my coins graded
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

I will answer your specific questions, but there is a great deal more you need to know if you want to submit coins to NGC for third-party grading and encapsulation, which I assume is what you mean by "getting coins graded".  Coins can be submitted by collectors with a paid annual NGC membership, which includes submission privileges, or they can be submitted through NGC member dealers. Please carefully review How to Submit | NGC (ngccoin.com) and the various links in it for details. You generally need to submit coins in 2.5- inch square mylar flips, not your own capsules, as discussed in the "Prepare and Send" portion.

Pay particular attention to the "NGC Services and Fees" page linked under "Determine Grading Tier". You must be able to determine the approximate grades and values of the coins that you submit to determine the correct tier. If you undervalue your submissions, they will only be insured for the market value you stated. In cases of substantial undervaluing in NGC's opinion, NGC will charge you for a higher tier but will still only insure the coins at your stated value. No matter by how much you overvalue your coins, however, NGC may charge you for the tier that you chose and the related processing and shipping fees. This one of the reasons why I implore novice collectors not to submit coins to grading services before they have developed substantial grading and related skills themselves and can determine their value. Presumably, you would not want to submit coins that are not worth substantially more than the grading, processing and shipping costs associated with submitting them.

You can only deliver coins to NGC by shipping them through the U.S. Postal Service or a carrier such as Fed Ex or UPS. NGC also accepts submissions at some larger coin shows, which are listed under Events | NGC (ngccoin.com).

If you are unsure about the value of the coins you want to submit, you may post separate topics (preferably, one coin per topic) with clear, cropped images of each full side of the coin, for our forum members' input.

On 10/25/2024 at 9:47 PM, Sandon said:

If they aren't available at your local coin shop or show, they are available from Whitman Publishing at https://whitman.com/ngc-2-5in-x-2-5in-double-pocket-coin-flips-clear-pvc-free/.  You could also try Wizard Coin Supply, https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/.

Thank you

On 10/25/2024 at 8:16 PM, johnjohnjohnjohnjohnjohnjohnjohnjohn said:

May I ask where I can purchase the mylar flips to ship the coins in?

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I will add to the two mentioned sources of these 2.5X2.5 flips (marketed under the name of Saflip), these flips can also be obtained at Hobby Lobby stores in the coin section of the store.