• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wondering if I should bother selling this Ottoman coin
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello coin experts, this is my first post on this forum. I am brand new to coin collecting and selling, and I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the World/Ancient Coins forum. 

My family has had this old Turkish/Ottoman coin for a very long time. Through the help of the internet I managed to identify it as a 100 Kurus from 1906. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces37640.html

I was wondering how much it might be worth; more specifically, if it's worth sending it out to get graded and then trying to sell it online. I am becoming more and more curious about what rating it would get, and I figure that if I decide not to sell it would still look quite nice in a fancy holder.

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum!

On 10/24/2024 at 10:28 PM, KaiserGlider said:

I am becoming more and more curious about what rating it would get,

If by rating, you actually mean grade, then I would say by general coin standards, your coin exhibits some circulation wear and would be somewhere in the AU range. Also, seeing the location of some of the black crud, I would venture to say this coin has been cleaned in the past so I would say it would grade as AU details - Cleaned. That is just my opinion from what I see and I don't have the coin in hand to check for sure if there are any hairlines visible from a past cleaning.

On 10/24/2024 at 10:28 PM, KaiserGlider said:

I figure that if I decide not to sell it would still look quite nice in a fancy holder.

Being this piece is struck from gold, professional third party grading would apply much more to authentication and a guarantee of it being genuine and not a counterfeit, and less about it being in "fancy" plastic. I don't know if this is a popular target for counterfeiters but any gold coin has the chance of a counterfeiter targeting the coin and producing a cheap alloy fake to make a bunch of money on by ripping someone off, so I would be looking at professional grading a different way than just some fancy plastic.

Even with a cleaning it is "worth its weight in gold" and right now gold is at an all time high. 7.216g of gold is going to get you a good price and I will let the gold experts chime in on exactly what that weight would fetch you at current spot price.

Great that you identified this coin correctly by the way (thumbsu. And it is a neat piece!

I had the great misfortune of growing up [in the U.S] at a time when Turkish Lira was virtually worthless.  To make matters worse, it was unlawful and illegal to take Turkish money out of the country.

To this day, I have loads of currency and a few coins older than yours sitting inba drawer someplace gethering dust.

I do not know how much your coin is worth, but my France 20-Francs gold rooster which contains 5.8064 gms of gold is worth over $500. now with the recent surge in gold spot.  If you wish to sell it, by all means do so but NOT first determining whether it is rare first.

Your coin as Powermad said is soild gold. You should send it off just for authentication.  Then you have determined your own destiny by having a solid commodity to sell. Your commodity has a mixed numismatic and intrinsic gold weight value. Gold is around $2750.00 / oz. The numismatic value is solely based on numerical rarity, market demand, condition rarity as well as few more nuanced factors. When combined these factors can give you the reasonable fair market value of this coin. Cheers. PS It has been Improperly cleaned ( scratches) . :(

On 10/25/2024 at 6:04 AM, Henri Charriere said:

I had the great misfortune of growing up [in the U.S] at a time when Turkish Lira was virtually worthless.  To make matters worse, it was unlawful and illegal to take Turkish money out of the country.

To this day, I have loads of currency and a few coins older than yours sitting in a drawer somewhere gethering dust.

I do not know how much your coin is worth, but my France 20-Francs gold rooster which contains 5.8064 gms of gold is worth over $500. now with the recent surge in gold spot.  If you wish to sell it, by all means do so but NOT before determining whether it is rare first.

Thank you everyone for the information and context provided! I really appreciate it

For a coin like this, would there be a preference as to which company I send it to for grading? I have read that NGC is better for world coins, but PCGS also grades world coins, so I'm a little confused. 

On 10/25/2024 at 10:09 PM, KaiserGlider said:

For a coin like this, would there be a preference as to which company I send it to for grading? I have read that NGC is better for world coins, but PCGS also grades world coins, so I'm a little confused. 

It is really your choice of which of these two TPG grading services that you choose to use. Both are reputable as top TPG grading services. Typically when it comes time to sell, either of these services will be near each other in the final selling price. It is not like either service provides any advantage to the final selling price.