• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Penny, off-center and rotated,
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I know zilch about coins but have tried to learn a bit about this one, and have concluded it's off-center and rotated. So now I know that much. 

A brief ebay search leads me to the conclusion that these aren't worth much but it's the only misstrike I've ever seen in person, so I like it. 

My question is, is there a way to determine the year it was made? So far I've only been able to narrow it down to a 100 year period and was hoping to further refine that down to a decade. 

1 (1).jpg

1 (2).jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You do have an error coin for an off center strike and it is a pretty good one. I would say it is about a 50% off center strike. As far as it being rotated, it probably is not. At least I cannot tell from the provided photos. The only way to tell if it happens to be rotated as well is to hold the coin with Abe upright as if it were a normal cent and flip it over top to bottom. If the reverse does not correspond as it should in a normal strike, then it could be rotated dies as well as off center.

As for the date, it is cut off due to the large amount this is struck off center. It is impossible to tell exactly what the official date was and this coin would always be a 19XX D Lincoln Memorial cent. The best you could do is narrow down the period it was struck by weighing the coin but that is the best you will be able to narrow it down. Sorry.

If it was struck from 1959-1982 in copper alloy, it should weigh around 3.11g.

If it was struck after the change from copper alloy to copper-plated zinc so 1982 to 2008, it should weigh somewhere around 2.5g.

Just from experience and looking at the planchet and the transition to the struck portion, I would say this would fall into the early 1959-1982 category as I don't see any zinc showing which typically happens on the copper-plated zinc core cents when there is an error or anomaly with the surface which usually stretches and breaks the thin copper plating.

Thank you both very much!

I went back and adjusted the photos to show Abe upright, then the reverse flipped appropriately. I think you're right that it doesn't appear rotated. 

Unfortunately the only scale I have is for weighing post office packages and it is squirrely when dealing with something this light. But the different weights is good information that I'll investigate if I find a scale. 

I have a bunch of old coins that I've glanced at, but now that I know about this forum I'll go back and look at them more carefully. I can see why people get sucked in (I'm also a collector, but not of coins... yet). 

1(1rot).thumb.jpg.7119672280a6285126b2bff4f74a96bd.jpg

1(2rot).thumb.jpg.a51f003cca42175b5b2785d0e52f698a.jpg

On 10/24/2024 at 10:26 AM, Tulares said:

Thank you both very much!

I went back and adjusted the photos to show Abe upright, then the reverse flipped appropriately. I think you're right that it doesn't appear rotated. 

Unfortunately the only scale I have is for weighing post office packages and it is squirrely when dealing with something this light. But the different weights is good information that I'll investigate if I find a scale. 

I have a bunch of old coins that I've glanced at, but now that I know about this forum I'll go back and look at them more carefully. I can see why people get sucked in (I'm also a collector, but not of coins... yet). 

1(1rot).thumb.jpg.7119672280a6285126b2bff4f74a96bd.jpg

1(2rot).thumb.jpg.a51f003cca42175b5b2785d0e52f698a.jpg

Welcome to the boards.  Given the orientation of the planchette, I think your coin was not struck on rotated dies.  However, this is a SUPER cool find.  While not valuable, this is a fun way to start the collection.  Congrats

Q.A.:  An ERROR?  Was the finding confirmed? Wow?

🐓   :  "Fairy tales can come true.  It can happen to you, if you're young at heart..."  Courtesy: Frank Sinatra

Congratulations!