• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips for my mercury dimes
1 1

5 posts in this topic

So many mercury dimes- 112 to be exact. I sorted them by year, but any advice on what to look for or do next? I’ve read some articles online but not sure if I have anything valuable, seems only a handful that are very good condition at best. Should I sell them as a lot? Or try and sell individually? Seems like they are worth about $3 for good condition each at minimum..just not sure what to do next, sometimes I get a little overwhelmed when it comes to the coins my dad passed down.IMG_4759.thumb.jpeg.154bebd7e240f3d8630cb706e2a2be28.jpeg

As you have them sorted are there any 1916-D, 1921, 1921-D, or 1942 as those should be checked to see if any could be the 1942 over 1941 overdate coins.   If you need help to check on the overdate look at the NGC explorer page for an example.   Or you can also post any that you think could be for help to verify.  In looking at the photo the rest look to be in fine or lower grades and would only be worth two or three dollars or so each.   It would be easier to sell them as a lot, much simpler from a shipping standpoint.

Aside from the dates pointed out by Coinbuf, I would also say to separate any 1926 S. While the 1926 S is not a key date in the series, I would call it a semi key. I would also say to look for FB (full bands) on the reverse, but the coins from what I can see all seem to be somewhat circulated and probably don't have full bands.

If everything is "common" and in the same condition as those on the top of the stacks shown in the photo, you will probably want to sell these 5 at a time by lot as they will be hard to sell otherwise, or just dump them all on a dealer and take what you can get for all of them if you don't want to do the work selling them yourself.

Thank you- very helpful! I’ll be checking these tomorrow!

On 10/23/2024 at 10:09 PM, Coinbuf said:

As you have them sorted are there any 1916-D, 1921, 1921-D, or 1942 as those should be checked to see if any could be the 1942 over 1941 overdate coins.   If you need help to check on the overdate look at the NGC explorer page for an example.   Or you can also post any that you think could be for help to verify.  In looking at the photo the rest look to be in fine or lower grades and would only be worth two or three dollars or so each.   It would be easier to sell them as a lot, much simpler from a shipping standpoint.