• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint error !
1 1

36 posts in this topic

On 10/23/2024 at 12:49 AM, JoePoe23 said:

Nothing I copied your post and pasted it then realised I wanted to quote coinbuf so I thought I deleted it but apparently deleted all but the signature. My bad this time. 

@££%%^££##%%#£^%£%%%£

What did you do I don't get it ? 

On 10/22/2024 at 11:01 AM, JoePoe23 said:

Simply as there is no other way to find out. Best of luck

I have been studying, conserving, collecting coins of all types for over 35 years. I have submitted many, many coins. The statement you made is patently false and I'll tell you why. Whlie NGC and PCGS employ some fine people and have an excellent reputation... the finest and most educated Numismatists DO NOT work for NGC or PCGS. Why would they? As an NGC or PCGS grader, finalizer, QC inspector etc.. you are prohibited from coin speculation, collecting, purchasing etc...So.. The TPGS are NOT the only way to know.. WE KNOW! You have the collective knowledge of hundreds of thousands of hours between the top members in this chat. You need to humble yourself.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 10/22/2024 at 3:00 AM, Tarekss1 said:

Well first the the attached liberty dollar is off-center and it is very obvious that none of the details are missing, none the less it has been labeled an error. So please explain?

Second I am not twisting your words that is exactly what you said "For a coin to have an error for off center strike, the minimum amount it needs to be off center is 5% to get the designation.". If you meant to say something else I guess it is not my problem. 

Thirdly, I maintain that US cents struck in large numbers with rotations is an irrelevant example even for US buyers of other coins as you can not generalise based on a coin that incidently was so common to have rotations. You said and i quote " That said, many early US cents in particular had numerous rotated dies and they are considered common in early US cents. It is not until dies are rotated 180 degrees which produces a condition called Medallic Alignment which is considered highly desirable by collectors as when the coin is flipped from left to right, the image on the other side is face up versus normal coin alignment which is when the coin is flipped top to bottom.".

You claim that its not until its a 180 rotation that it is cosidered highly desirable; may be this is true for US cents. However, we were not talking about US cents, it seemed like you were suggesting that in general a 180 degree rotation is needed for a coin to become desirable and command a premium ! And that proposition seems out of context as I saw countless examples of coins being sold at a 300 and 400 percent premium for rotations that were way less than 180 degrees (i included auction results of a couple of morgans that were sold for much higher prices despite having rotations way less than 180, you can find plenty more !) .  

Also, misalignment can happen on both sides. Does not have to be on one side. You can see the attached!

Lastly, my question had nothing to do with premiums. My question was about whether or not it gets an error designation and when does it get labeled as an error. Premiums are subjective and if you track auctions you will eventually realise that "to each his own". I honestly would not try to come up with elaborate equations for what fetches premiums and what does not, cause eventually buyers will break the rules. That's just me!  

Best regards,

Tarek S ElkaddahScreenshot_20241022-103807_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e95f694707a8c71cf308548098503be0.jpg

Screenshot_20241022_110710.jpg

Screenshot_20241022_110722.jpg

Since you are already an expert on Mint errors, you don't need my opinion or comments. Submit your coin, and return to this thread with a picture of it in the slab. GOOD DAY TO YOU SIR!

On 10/22/2024 at 5:58 PM, JoePoe23 said:

A sloppy error.

If a duplicate appears -- something that happens to the most skilled mechanics amongst us -- one need only "touch" the "three dots" provided horizontally in the upper-right corner of the post in question, and choose "Hide" to disappear the misadventure and in the "reason" box farther down, provide an "exclamation," such as Duplicate post.  No ham done!

On 10/23/2024 at 6:46 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

I have been studying, conserving, collecting coins of all types for over 35 years. I have submitted many, many coins. The statement you made is patently false and I'll tell you why. Whlie NGC and PCGS employ some fine people and have an excellent reputation... the finest and most educated Numismatists DO NOT work for NGC or PCGS. Why would they? As an NGC or PCGS grader, finalizer, QC inspector etc.. you are prohibited from coin speculation, collecting, purchasing etc...So.. The TPGS are NOT the only way to know.. WE KNOW! You have the collective knowledge of hundreds of thousands of hours between the top members in this chat. You need to humble yourself.

Agreed but at the end of the day the coin can comeback with an unanticipated grade way below what you have expected. You can then take it out of the slab and send it elsewhere or just assume they just got it right.