• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toned Coins Looking for thoughts/opinions
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I found this nickel and quarter in my change.  I thing the colors are fascinating.

Your thoughts or opinions are?

I am also looking for help in finding a good US Note chat room.

I found this $1 Star note.  I have questions about the last two numbers in the serial number.  (11).  

Is the last two numbers bigger then the first six numbers and if so is this normal for star notes?

nick 1.jpg

nick 2.jpg

qua 3.jpg

qua 1.jpg

qua 2.jpg

20241020_234503.jpg

20241020_234520.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and condition is king. Hard to say what the toning looks like based on those images but the condition of the coins would cause most collectors to take a pass regardless of how attractive the toning may be. 

The 1's on the note are perfectly normal and the same size as the rest of the numerals, they just tend to look larger due to the top and bottom of the 1 being flat, having a horizontal line, as opposed to being arched or having a vertical line. If you drew two horizontal lines across the top and/or bottom of the numerals you'd see better that the 1's are the same size. Also, sometimes the amount of ink can vary a little making some letters or numerals appear smaller/larger, or the digits can be slightly misaligned as well, but that is not the case here. You can talk notes here https://boards.pmgnotes.com/ 

image.jpeg.c3cdc60b807fbfe86dbad0ab6d5af3e6.jpeg

The best part of the hobby is that you are welcome to collect whatever you like.

Being you asked for opinions, I shall provide mine. Your nickel is well circulated and has environmental damage which caused that coloration change to it. Your quarter was also exposed to something in the environment to change to that shade of blue. Keep in mind, all metals are subject to the environment they are in. Some environments are much better than others. Coins kept in a sealed case in a temperature and humidity controlled environment ideal for storing coins will obviously fare well better than those in circulation which will fare well better than those buried in the ground or lost in a lake or ocean. The composition of the metal as well as what environmental conditions it is exposed to will cause the metal to change many different colors depending on these conditions.

As for your note, the PMG chat board is where you need to go for that, but I will say as I also have a selection of paper money in addition to my coins, I spoke to a paper currency dealer years ago (not this year) at the World's Fair of Money regarding the many star notes I had as well as some other sequential notes and some serial number configurations. I was told there that a single star note not part of a sequential run of star notes will not get any premium. I had dozens of $20 star notes. My $2 bills are worth $2 (even the old ones that are not red seal). And having four or five sequential bills is worth no premium as collectors are looking for full sequential runs of 25, 50, or 100 (or more) or full uncut sheets. Basically I ended up having several hundred dollars then that I was able to spend on coins instead.

The 1985-P nickel would be considered either artificially toned or environmentally damaged due to the uneven and unnatural toning pattern. The 2022-D quarters should not have developed toning so quickly, and the color is also likely the result of intentional alteration or improper storage.

See the following topic I posted a few months ago regarding this issue:

On 10/20/2024 at 10:02 PM, TE USAF said:

I found this nickel and quarter in my change.  I thing the colors are fascinating.

Your thoughts or opinions are?

I am also looking for help in finding a good US Note chat room.

I found this $1 Star note.  I have questions about the last two numbers in the serial number.  (11).  

Is the last two numbers bigger then the first six numbers and if so is this normal for star notes?

Everyone has already answered your question on the note so I'll only respond to the coins.   Everyone has personal likes and dislikes, if you like these coins there is no reason to preclude you from holding onto them.   But if you decide to hold onto them I implore you to put them in 2X2 holders and write on those holders that you found the colors interesting but that the coins have no value over the face value.   The reason I ask you to do that is to save both your heirs that will receive them and any coin shop dealer or forum members like us the pain of telling/getting the bad news that the coins left to them by a family member are not valuable.

As you asked for opinions, I do not find either coin attractive and would be just spenders if I found them.   The nickel looks to have been damaged/subjected to heat; and the quarter looks like it's been washed as some laundry detergent can turn coins this color at times.   But again, what I think of the tone is not relevant to your decision to keep or not, that is your choice alone.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 10/21/2024 at 12:20 PM, powermad5000 said:

.A... I was told.... that a single star note not part of a sequential run of star notes will not get any premium....

B... having four or five sequential bills is worth no premium as collectors are looking for full sequential runs of 25, 50, or 100 (or more) or full uncut sheets....

A. Totally unaware of this but the '63 Jefferson United States Notes, I believe command something.

B.  Totally unaware of this as well. Abandoned that segment of the hobby before the passenger pigeon extinct.  Appreciate the tangential update!

On 10/21/2024 at 7:01 PM, Henri Charriere said:

A. Totally unaware of this but the '63 Jefferson United States Notes, I believe command something.

B.  Totally unaware of this as well. Abandoned that segment of the hobby before the passenger pigeon extinct.  Appreciate the tangential update!

I get this is a coin forum and we should limit the discussion of paper money here as such. I just wanted to share the little I was told about paper money to maybe help the OP in some small way.

On 10/21/2024 at 11:36 PM, powermad5000 said:

I get this is a coin forum and we should limit the discussion of paper money here as such. I just wanted to share the little I was told about paper money to maybe help the OP in some small way.