• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you offer for a 1916 Buffalo Nickel
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I came across this ad and the person is close to me. It's on a selling app and I want to give him a offer but not sure what to offer and is there a chance this is a fake? Sorry for the pour quality pics but that's all he had.

IMG_20241018_141600_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20241018_141513_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

To help out a friend $5, its really only worth a buck full retail at most with all the rev damage.   The only reason anyone would fake a 1916 Buffalo is to fake the known doubled die.

Edited by Coinbuf

This is a relatively common and apparently genuine1916 Buffalo nickel with Fine details and reverse pin scratches. Without the scratches, it would have a retail (dealer sell) value of $8 or so. I agree that $5 would be a somewhat generous offer for it. You should be easily able to find a better one at a coin show or coin shop.

I'd be careful about using "selling apps" where you go somewhere to actually meet the seller. I understand they are sometimes a ruse for criminals to rob you.

On 10/18/2024 at 2:34 PM, Sandon said:

I'd be careful about using "selling apps" where you go somewhere to actually meet the seller. I understand they are sometimes a ruse for criminals to rob you.

Excellent advice!  Odd hours, out of the way, deserted locations are out of the question.  If you want to be safe, choose a place where you are known, with cameras, and bring along a friend.

A popular "pawnshop" advertises they pay in CASH but actually issue you a check that you can cash at a local bank by their arrangement.  One of the last b&m places, J.J. KARP, a veritable Fort Knox has been doing business like this for decades in New York's Financial District. At the world-famous Strand Book Store, I would prevail on the owner's good graces to allow me to conduct a more substantial transaction.  I would hope a petty transaction such as the one contemplated here would not necessitate elaborate precautions. Every transaction entails risk.  Obviously, if you are buying a car it pays to do so in a public place, a postal office, or a bank branch.