• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 Crossing the Delaware (blackbeauty) Quarter with bubble Authentic/Altered?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I say black beauty because I assume a die error occured, but the bubble is what I question, is this an error or was this altered? It appears in the same place on both sides and never damages the image on the quarter. Heat bubbles normally aren't uniform....thoughts?

Resized_20241016_003708.jpeg

Resized_20241016_003735.jpg

Resized_20241016_003748.jpg

Resized_20241016_004155.jpg

Resized_20241016_003916.jpg

Resized_20241016_003905.jpg

On 10/16/2024 at 4:25 AM, 0707Angel said:

I say black beauty because I assume a die error occured

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Latching on to one numismatic term and then assuming anything in this hobby is surely to lead you to two wrong diagnoses. The term black beauty applied to Jefferson nickels in the 50's and 60's and was due to an improper mixing of the alloy or to a problem in the annealing process (there is still disagreement in the numismatic community as to exactly which occurred) to make the planchets. The Crossing the Delaware Quarter is a copper-nickel clad copper planchet, not really an alloy mix like the nickels. Assuming a die error occurred means you know nothing of the minting process and how the coin you have was produced. For starters, if your quarter had started as a planchet with bubbles, the tonnage of force of the striking process would have surely flattened those bubbles, therefore, they were imparted to the coin after it was ejected from the striking chamber which means it cannot possibly be an error. There are only so many ways for the mint to produce an error coin, but there are infinite ways for it to become damaged once it has been ejected from the coinage press.

This quarter was surely heated causing those rings of uneven coloring as the copper-nickel clad layer suffered varying amounts of heat damage at the source and then further away from the heat source.

On 10/16/2024 at 3:37 PM, Moxie15 said:

Please explain how that happened during minting.

Wishing and hoping … ONLY!

Well I am an amateur, hints why I am here and started this thread. I am aware of the where the blackbeauty came from. However, I have lots of questions when it comes to discolorations of different coins. As for bubbles I have seen clear signs of a coin purposely being heated and forming a bubble that is uneven and the discoloration that comes with that. I do use the word assume because I am being honest when it comes to things that I haven't been able to find an answer for. I am very much interested in coin collecting and I have quite a collection my next stage is picking the best few and getting them graded. I have done an extensive amount of research but I have come here to get real serious collectors opinions on things I don't have an answer for. I appreciate your time in responding to my thread. 

On 10/18/2024 at 6:55 PM, 0707Angel said:

my next stage is picking the best few and getting them graded

Here’s a serious challenge to that idea - tell us why. You need to be able to articulate why you think you want to get a coin graded. If the answer is, “It’s just what you do next”, you are incorrect. 

Edited by VKurtB

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

I assume that by "getting them graded" you mean submitting them to a third-party grading service. Before you consider doing this, it is essential that you learn how to grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself, as only individual coins worth at least several hundred dollars are worth the cost of submission.  This takes both time and study. Lesser value coins--or even higher value coins--can be enjoyably collected and protected in albums and other types of holders.

From what books and other resources are you obtaining information about coins?

On 10/18/2024 at 6:55 PM, 0707Angel said:

I am very much interested in coin collecting and I have quite a collection my next stage is picking the best few and getting them graded.

If I may ask, would you be willing to post a couple here of the best few before you submit anything to a professional service to have them graded? I would be interested to see a sampling of what you have in your collection. Post one coin per thread using clear, fully cropped photos if you choose to entertain my request.

Please wash your hands clean your nasty nails as well prior to returning here. You eat with those? Thats gross. The coin is screaming dirty dirty

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 10/18/2024 at 7:55 PM, 0707Angel said:

Well I am an amateur, hints why I am here and started this thread. I am aware of the where the blackbeauty came from. However, I have lots of questions when it comes to discolorations of different coins. As for bubbles I have seen clear signs of a coin purposely being heated and forming a bubble that is uneven and the discoloration that comes with that. I do use the word assume because I am being honest when it comes to things that I haven't been able to find an answer for. I am very much interested in coin collecting and I have quite a collection my next stage is picking the best few and getting them graded. I have done an extensive amount of research but I have come here to get real serious collectors opinions on things I don't have an answer for. I appreciate your time in responding to my thread. 

If I may,

It is good that you asking questions on unusual coins and do not think that anyone is upset with you in any way. 
As an ameteur  who has been collecting for over 55 years this is something that I still enjoy and treaches one a lot.

First go to a bookstore or a coin shop and buy a copy of The Red Book and a copy of The ANA Grading Standards, 100 2x2 cent holders, maybe a Whitman Lincoln cent album, a good stapler with staples, and a 10X loupe. Then go to your bank and get a $25 box of cents.

Now get a comfortable place at home and read the section of th Red Book concerning Lincoln cents then the same in the ANAGrading Standards. Now start going through a roll of cents, Look for the best red cents to keep. Save any wheat backs, unusual looking coins and what you think may be an error or variety. Do not save green, corroded or nasty looking coins. Turn the rejects into a differe nt braanch of your bank and buy some more cents and do it again. After about a year or so you will have put together a nice collection of red Memorial and shield back cents, gained a good working knowledge of what is out there circulating and a start of an understanding of what an error or variety coin is.n And a lot of fun.