• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incise vs. incuse -- and a repository for germs.
1 1

9 posts in this topic

By definition, "incise" means to cut or carve into something, while "incuse" means to stamp or hammer in a design or hammer in a design or figure into a coin.

There are many different variables in spelling and meaning to this none of which are germane to this conversation or the point I wish to make.  Bear in mind, incise means cut into any surface.  Incuse means stamped into a metal surface.

Such examples may be found most notably on the Indian Head line of gold coins in the early 1900's and more recently in the current Native American clad dollar coins.

Virtually unspoken in numismatic circles is the danger these germ-laden recessed crevices pose to the collector.  If bank notes in circulation are universally regarded as dirty prompting some to suggest street vendors refrain from serving food and making change, hours at a clip, I wonder why no one has drawn a similar analogy between incused coins -- both Indians and Native Americans -- and the repository of germs they harbor in their recesses.

Do you, the collector, feel this is a valid concern?  Would you caution anyone to refrain from putting either in their mouth, or suggest they wash their hands before eating?

On 10/13/2024 at 11:18 PM, powermad5000 said:

One should always wash their hands before eating or handling coins

Agreed. Wash your hands and coins before eating them. PS: If your coins are chewy, they probably have a lot of PVC or maybe green slime. Dijon mustard will improve the flavor.

:)

Edited by RWB

On 10/14/2024 at 3:26 PM, V33J@ said:

This is exactly why I always use gloves and no longer use my mouth for conservation. The struggle is real. Thank you for this.

Gloves also have more fiber than coins, although some might have more additives, too. :)

To the congregation-at-large:

The inspiration for this Topic was the realization on my part that for the past thirty (30) years, currency printed in Australia is comprised of a plastic polymer.

Since its introduction, I've never read nor heard anything of its efficacy beyond the well-established fact that it is cheaper to produce and lasts a lot longer.

I would imagine that was a cost-efficient innovation, but wondered why other countries did not adopt the change.  Some of the original notes issued long ago go for a pretty penny now.

Fast forward to the United States and it's so-called Perpetual Penny Paradox. As that would more properly be the subject of a separate, dedicated Topic, I will address that in the coming year.  Who knows, besides the weight differential militating against adoption of plastic, I would imagine there would be a significant negative difference in wear and tear whether a cheaper metal were to be encased in it or not.

(Never let it be said ol' Q.A.'s heart isn't in the right place where collectors' interests are at heart.)  🤣

On 10/13/2024 at 10:53 PM, powermad5000 said:

Pardon me, do you have any Grey Pupon?

Or Poupon, even.

On 10/14/2024 at 7:49 PM, Henri Charriere said:

To the congregation-at-large:

The inspiration for this Topic was the realization on my part that for the past thirty (30) years, currency printed in Australia is comprised of a plastic polymer.

Since its introduction, I've never read nor heard anything of its efficacy beyond the well-established fact that it is cheaper to produce and lasts a lot longer.

I would imagine that was a cost-efficient innovation, but wondered why other countries did not adopt the change.  Some of the original notes issued long ago go for a pretty penny now.

Fast forward to the United States and it's so-called Perpetual Penny Paradox. As that would more properly be the subject of a separate, dedicated Topic, I will address that in the coming year.  Who knows, besides the weight differential militating against adoption of plastic, I would imagine there would be a significant negative difference in wear and tear whether a cheaper metal were to be encased in it or not.

(Never let it be said ol' Q.A.'s heart isn't in the right place where collectors' interests are at heart.)  🤣

All U.K. notes are polymer as well. See through features, too.