• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pcgs holder

5 posts in this topic

thanks--trying to figure out the date on this holder---serial # 07274.63/1231215---1901Oa-Copy.JPG.30f7da72dcb423fb881ff3fc911fb18a.JPG1901Ob.JPG.1b0df06f7a48478999a58cadc56dd569.JPG1901Ob.JPG.1b0df06f7a48478999a58cadc56dd569.JPG

Edited by michaelv50
adding text---correct spelling

Third party grading firms like NGC and PCGS do not put dates on the holders to indicate an exact date the coin was graded/encapsulated.   PCGS had two versions of their first holder, commonly called a rattler as @Sandon wrote.   Yours is the most common 1.2 generation holder which PCGS used from 1987 to 1989.  That is the closest to dating when the coin was graded as can be known.

There are collectors that like to collect coins in these earlier holders and these can bring a slight premium over a similar coin in a current holder.

I concur with the foregoing findings of the aforementioned gentlemen who weighed in above.

In its most basic form, the information provided under the Certification look-up, include:

[0]7274 . 63 [0123215] spread out slightly for clarity.  They refer to:

PCGS #  [0] 7274 (or the specific series of coin illustrated)

,63 or grade that has been assigned.

/

and [0]123 1 215 (commonly referred to as a "certification" or "cert"  number  which you can use in their look-up for identification purposes.

Other information provided include:

Region: The United States of America

Grade:  MS63

Mintage:  13,320,000

Holder Type:  Standard  (with the specific vintages helpfully covered by the members above).

Population:  14,131

Pop. Higher:  21,456

PCGS Price Guide Value:  $110.--

(Note:  In all the years I have been collecting a small line of PCGS-encapsulated foreign coins, I have never seen values provided for any coin I have acquired.)

Is there anything more frustrating than a repsonder to your question who fails to be responsive in the way you would like?  My sincere apology!

I took the liberty of attempting to answer your question in the way you would prefer by diving into the 'net.

I found "Age of NGC Holder," by LINCOLNMAN, February 23, 2017 (now Archived by our hosts.)

I also located a website (which may or may not be more forthcoming:  oldslabholders.com which provides a visual array of NGC Slab Generations.

Moving right along... I found:  PCGS Museum of Coin Holders, which features the "Evolution of the PCGS Coin Holder."

There is a wealth of information available if you have the time and inclination.

[Gratuitous Editorial Comment:  Never let it be said this Rising Star (Henri Charriere, and his bevy of aliases) fails to rise to the occasion of broadening the "body of knowledge" when asked to do so.  The pleasure is all mine.]   🤣