• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artificial vs Natural Toning?
1 1

2 posts in this topic

Hello! I have a question about natural vs artificial toning, and how NGC makes a determination between the two. I sent a toned 1986 American Eagle $1 in for grading and it came back "UNC Details: Artificial toning." This was a coin that my father bought upon issue, put into a paper sleeve then into a folder in a safe deposit box, and left it there until I pulled it out a few years ago after his death. He had no concept of what toning was, would have had no idea how to artificially tone anything, and would likely have considered the discoloration as a blemish. So, I know for a fact that this coin was not purposefully toned. Why does NGC think it was?

20241010_111659.jpg

20241010_111613.jpg

• Administrator

Hello @ketupa, Thank you for contacting us. A coin’s natural toning is sometimes artificially accelerated by chemicals or excessive heat. The good news is, NCS can often remove this artificial toning to restore a coin’s originality. You might consider sending the coin back for this service and having it regraded to see if it can assist in providing a numerical grade instead. Please do note though that removal may reveal previously hidden problems such as scratches or improper cleaning.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!