• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wondering if I have a mint error
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm a newbie but have a question.I just received a 1986 1oz gold eagle and I can see if I can post pics but if you hold the coin with lady liberty standing then flip the coin horizontally the type 1 eagles are upside down??? Now I have looked at pics of the same coin and none are like mine. Is this a Mint Error or am I crazy? Thank you.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

It is preferable that you post clear, full images of each side of the coin as well as those that will show us what you think is anomalous. Such images may also enable us to express other significant opinions about your coin, such as regarding its authenticity.

All U.S. coins are supposed to be struck in a "coin turn", meaning that the dies are oriented 180 degrees apart. When you are looking at the obverse ("heads") side right side up, the reverse ("tails" side) should be upside down. However, if you flip the coin over top to bottom instead of just turning it, both sides will appear upright. I'm not sure what you mean by "flip[ping] the coin horizontally". When you do this with another U.S. coin, including pocket change, are the results different?

Sometimes coins are struck from "rotated dies" that vary from a few degrees of a true "coin turn" (little or no value) to a full "medal turn" in which both sides are oriented in the same direction and usually worth some premium. (The value of a one-ounce gold bullion coin will currently be largely based on the price of gold.) See the following article from the NGC website: Mint Error Coin Chronicles: Rotated Dies Error | NGC (ngccoin.com).

On 10/9/2024 at 4:19 PM, Rob2024 said:

Hello, I'm a newbie but have a question.I just received a 1986 1oz gold eagle and I can see if I can post pics but if you hold the coin with lady liberty standing then flip the coin horizontally the type 1 eagles are upside down??? Now I have looked at pics of the same coin and none are like mine. Is this a Mint Error or am I crazy? Thank you.

Welcome to the forum.

That is correct, if flipping a U.S. coin horizontally one side will be upright and the other upside down, it is call coin alignment (↑↓). Medal alignment is when both dies are oriented the same (↑↑)

Can't tell if it's bee mint, cat mint, spearmint, peppermint, julep mint, tulip mint, Denver Mint or another kind of "mint" without good photos.

PS: "Now I have looked at pics of the same coin and none are like mine. Is this a Mint Error or am I crazy?" Published photos are commonly rotated so the each side is easy to view, upright. It's not an error, you're probably not crazy (ask your spouse), and don't forget to walk the dog.

Edited by RWB

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think I know what you are trying to convey.

I just took a normal Roosevelt dime and holding the coin with Roosevelt's head in the normal upright position facing me, I flipped the coin left to right (horizontally) and then the torch was facing me upside down.

I took the same dime and holding the coin with Roosevelt's head in the normal upright position facing me, I flipped the coin top to bottom (vertically) and the torch was facing me normally with the flame at the top.

Your coin is normal.

It is really too bad I had to be forcibly relinquished of my spot as NGC Guest Moderator.

Suffice it to say, characterizing another member as "crazy," even in jest, is expressly forbidden.  One can only suggest another is not in full possession of their faculties.

If you liked this presentation, hit the LIKE button and SUBSCRIBE!

🐓  This isn't YouTube shorts, Quintus!

Q.A.:  I beg your pardon... Carry on!  Man, I love this place.  🤣

On 10/10/2024 at 11:13 AM, Rob2024 said:

thank you Powermad5000 ,I should of been clear with my description. You answered my question clearly. I'm a newbie but learning.

No problem! Feel free to return with any questions you might have. This is the best place to come for solid truthful information! (thumbsu