• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion needed of my 1934 Wheat Penny
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Potential Error?
Hi everyone,
I have a 1934 Lincoln Wheat penny that I'm curious about. I've been told there might be an error on it, but I'm not entirely sure.
The issue: When viewed straight on, the bottom of the "L" in "LIBERTY" seems to disappear. However, when viewed from an angle, the full "L" is visible. I've included a few images with tweezers for reference, so you can see the angle I'm talking about.
The theory: Some people believe the "L" might have been stamped into the edge of the penny, which could be considered an error.
My question: Does anyone else have experience with similar issues on 1934 Wheat pennies? Do you think this is a potential error?
Here are some additional details about the coin:
 * Weight: 3.06g
 * Width: 19mm
Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Dave

IMG_20241009_031316_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20241009_032025_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20241009_031146_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20241009_030946_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

Thank you for your input on the coin. I appreciate everyone's perspective, which is why I posted it here. I'm always eager to learn from those with more experience and knowledge.
I'm grateful for the insights I've received from the forum members. In the past few days, I've shared three different coins and learned valuable information that has helped me better understand their value and authenticity. Thank you all for your assistance.

On 10/9/2024 at 2:43 AM, Vikingwarrior15 said:

The issue: When viewed straight on, the bottom of the "L" in "LIBERTY" seems to disappear. However, when viewed from an angle, the full "L" is visible.

Be careful with this. My first reaction when I read this and then saw the photo was the issue was pareidolia.

I think part of the problem, besides YouTube of course, is that most non collectors don’t realize that the L was almost on the rim on all earlier Lincoln Cents up until 1968. In 1969 the master die was reworked and all the lettering was moved further away from the rim so by comparing a newer cent with an older one, they think they have some sort of an error.

On 10/9/2024 at 11:42 AM, Greenstang said:

I think part of the problem, besides YouTube of course, is that most non collectors don’t realize that the L was almost on the rim on all earlier Lincoln Cents up until 1968. In 1969 the master die was reworked and all the lettering was moved further away from the rim so by comparing a newer cent with an older one, they think they have some sort of an error.

This is part of the problem, yes, but it used to mean nothing for all the decades I have been collecting up until recently. Since 1909 until about roughly 2020 the L on the rim literally meant not a thing and didn't even cause the slightest "stir". It wasn't until the scammers and hucksters got a hold of that as a reason to defraud those without proper knowledge and place a label and some kind of BS value on it that it suddenly changed. Suddenly it was an ERROR and they started peddling common wheats and early 60's memorial cents worth one to three cents for $20, $50, or even $200. And suddenly you had an army of people pulling out their Lincolns that have sat in a drawer or album collecting dust and pulling these out as they now think there is some error value to them. I blame the scammers more for this problem because they are the ones who attached a bogus value to it.

Anymore than the 1982 D small date. Not a single person would be weighing modern Lincoln Memorial cents if that was never discovered. But it was discovered and once it became something of value, then it changed and it became what it is now with even those non collectors buying a scale and weighing every 1982 cent they can get their hands on.

Thank you very much for all the help and advice I mean that deeply.  Part of the problem is I have a friend who kind of helped me start this journey into coin collecting and I thought he knew alot more then he does and another friend is an amateur but trys to be helpful.  So I was not getting the best of help but they are friends and have all the books and more knowledge then I had. So I am grateful for this forum.  I am doing my studying and will hopefully 1 day have as much knowledge as some of you.  

Thanks again for everything... 

@Vikingwarrior15THOSE WHO DO WELL IN THIS HOBBY DRAW THEIR INFORMATION FROM A WIDE VARIETY OF SOURCES.  THEY DO NOT LIMIT THEMSELVES TO A SMALL CIRCLE OF FEIENDS, HOWEVER LEARNED OR KNOWLEDGEABLE.  CONSIDER INFORMATION AVAILABLE FROM A WIDE VARIETY OF SOURCES:  EXPERIENCED HOBBYISTS, PRINT MATERUAL, AND REFERENCES.  IMMERSE YOURSELF IN THE HOBBY.  CONSIDER ALL VIEWPOINTS. THO I HAVE NOT DOENE SO, ATTEND COIN SHOWS AND VISIT COIN SHOPS.  YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU MAY INADVRRTRNTLY STUMBLE ACROSS.  MY CONTEMPORARIES ARE, FOR THE MOST PART, RETIRED. IN A SENSE, COIN COLLECTING AND LEARNING VERY OFTEN BECOMES A LIFOLONG PURSUIT.  THOSE WHO HAVE DONE VERY WELL FOR THEMSELVES STUCK TO THE BASICS.  THEY SPECIALIZED ON A COIN OR SERIES AND, AS HIS HUMAN NATURE, ATTEMPTED TO ACQUIRE THE VERY BEST THE SERIES HAD TO OFFER.  HAPPY HUNTING!

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement! I started with a modest collection but have been immersing myself in the hobby through reading, joining forums, and exploring local coin shops. Speaking of which, I'm excited to visit a great coin shop near my home tomorrow. I'm hoping to pick up some literature and perhaps a few new additions to my collection.
Everyone in this community has been incredibly helpful, and I'm eager to continue learning and engaging with other enthusiasts.

Best regards,
Dave

P.S. My thoughts are with those in Florida affected by the hurricane tonight. I hope for their safety and well-being.

On 10/9/2024 at 10:20 PM, Vikingwarrior15 said:

Everyone in this community has been incredibly helpful, and I'm eager to continue learning and engaging with other enthusiasts.

And you can always return to the forum here at any time!

Just keep in mind, it takes a looonnngggg time to learn a lot in this hobby. Speaking of my own experience, I've been at it for 45+ years. And I'll just put it this way, life gets in the way of coins. That's why it is a hobby. I suppose there are people out there that can do nothing but coins day and night, but my life does not allow that much free time. I do what I can. I wish I could always have my nose buried in a coin book, but as of now that is not what I am able to do. I do my best however. And even this long in, I am still far from the most knowledgeable and will never know everything there is to know about coins, but I can hold my own at this point. In the last decade I have grown immensely in my learning, and it has also caused me to collect coins differently now than in the past. The good part about this hobby is you are not stuck to any one thing unless you want to be. Your collecting can change any time you want it to.

The thing that has stayed the same for me all these years, however, is the joy I get from looking at beautiful coins, inspecting them, acquiring them, and finally having them to admire and look at when I want to enjoy them. Finding a nice coin to add to one of my sets brings me happiness.