• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the Date on that Sacajawea Dollar?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Occasionally, I will allow my unfamiliarity with a coin series to show.  This is such an occasion.  I was always aware that the Sacs, in particular, do not display a Date.  As I do not collect them I do not know if this is true for all years, or for that matter, if other coins also sport dates on unreeded edges.  What I do not know is Why, and How the collector community feels about it. You thoughts would be appreciated!

The 2000-2008 Sacagawea (not "Sacajawea") dollars with the original flying eagle reverse all feature the date and mintmark prominently on the obverse, as on this 2001-P:

2001-Pdollarobv..thumb.jpg.fc01892187c07305ce16f43721ec5a64.jpg

2001-Pdollarrev..thumb.jpg.7d3932b3738bca00cd26f827f479f395.jpg

The "Native American" dollars issued annually since 2009 utilize the Sacagawea obverse without the date and mintmark, which are on the edge together with "E PLURIBUS UNUM". As the reverse design changes each year, the year of issue can also be determined from the reverse, with reference to a standard coin guide such as the "Red Book".

Edited by Sandon