• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1849 P gold dollar, “w/l op. wreath”
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Another coin I’m debating getting certified- any thoughts from experts on if it’s worth certifying, tier level, and possible grade for tier value? It has 575$ on it, but don’t think my dad paid that much when he got it on auction. 

thanks a bunch :)

More detailed photos in comments, hard to get good pics with these plastic sleeves 

IMG_3415.jpeg

IMG_3416.jpeg

This gold dollar will grade as AU55 or so, much like your seated dollar the AU+++ on the holder is a bit optimistic as that implies a grade of at least AU58.   Due to the significant rise in gold values in recent months any common date gold coin that grades under MS64 is being priced as bullion and the value is more dependent on the daily gold spot price than any numismatic value.   Gold today is right around $2,650 an ounce so for your AU dollar the current market value is around $550-$600 give or take depending on the seller/buyer and how you decide to sell it.   Dealers will always offer less as they will then want to mark up to current market value so if selling to a coin dealer you should expect offers in the $500 +/- range.

This is a tough call, because of the price of gold you really don't gain any value on a coin like this by having it graded/certified.   A key component to all of your grading questions is how you plan to sell your coins.   If you are going to use a platform like Ebay, certified coins often do sell easier and faster on those types of sites, so in that situation sending to NGC is reasonable.   But if you are going to sell to a legit coin dealer then certification for a coin like this really won't help very much if at all and is just a waste of funds.

Again, this is a very nice coin with good value and was a very nice gift from your father.

Edited to add:  I forgot to mention that all gold coins under 3K in value need to be submitted under the (aptly named) gold tier which costs $35 per coin plus the fees and shipping.

Edited by Coinbuf

Please send photos, not low quality screen grabs as shown above. These are ruined by the screen texture. Also, crop the coin images to show only coin and holder, or better, only the coin.

(PS: Collectors often have a negative reaction to holders with notations such as: "AU+++" or "GEM+++++" or "LQQK". You've already read that from several members.)

This appears to be from the same seller that your Dad got the Seated Liberty Dollar as I denote a similar sticker on the reverse. The hand written grade on this gold piece and the dollar were to me inflated to make more off the sale of the coin. This typically happens in the hobby especially when it comes to these cardboard flips where anybody can write anything they want on them.

That said, irregardless of the original purchase price, this piece is where it is at today and at today's pricing. This is not the No L of the same date which would be worth a little more premium so this is the more common one of the date. As far as reasons to certify this piece, as noted by @Coinbuf, with the coin residing as graded in a holder, it will sell much easier and faster having the issue of potential grade removed by having the grade stated on the label in the holder. Another reason to submit this coin for professional grading is that there were many counterfeited gold coins made from cheap alloys to resemble the look of a gold coin but are in fact fakes. This coin is not at the top of the counterfeiters list but new fakes are coming out all the time and having this coin professionally graded and holdered would remove any doubt as to its authenticity and would provide the buyer peace of mind that they are not spending hundreds of dollars on a possible fake gold coin.

Despite whatever the prices are currently for gold coins as they fluctuate daily, gold coins of any denomination are costly enough IMHO to warrant professional grading and authentication and I would have any gold in the collection you inherited graded and certified.

On balance, I would characterize the advice you have received thus far, as sound.  You did not purchase the coin.  Anyone who would claim he would never acquire a "formally ungraded" coin is being less than truthful.  In your case, the point is moot as the rise in gold spot effectively erases that concern.

As far as submission goes, the form used is self-explanatory. You shall pick things up as you go along.  NGC understands pro se efforts and has, on many occasions, bent over backwards to assist or otherwise accommodate the beginner or initiated. You are in good hands. Good luck!