• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 D penny weighs 2.9 grams.
1 1

8 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2024 at 10:21 PM, JPerk1966 said:

Picture_20241007101824.thumb.jpg.1c9fa510e2346457772047224780a4f1.jpg

I've weighed hundreds of pennies. All weigh 2.5 or 3.1. This one weighs 2.9 grams. Does anyone know why or how much it's worth?

Thanks for your time.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

To weigh a coin, you should use a properly calibrated scale that accurately weighs in hundredths (not tenths) of a gram.  Assuming that your scale is accurate but only weighs to the nearest tenth of a gram, your 1975-D cent's actual weight could be much as 2.94 grams. The specified weight for an uncirculated 95% copper cent minted from 1864 to 1982 was 3.11 grams, with a tolerance (1873-1982) of plus or minus 0.13 gram, so when first struck your coin could have weighed as little as 2.98 grams and been within the legal weight standard. The difference of as little as 0.04 gram is insignificant and would be due to wear or the coin having been struck on slightly thin planchet stock. In either case, this would be of no interest or significance to knowledgeable collectors. The coin is worth face value and is only worth saving for its copper content.

What prompted you to weigh this ordinary looking coin in the first place? 

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I would ask if you could provide us a photo of the reverse of this coin as well? We typically reserve any judgement or opinion on coins without having a picture of the obverse and reverse as is stated in the pinned topic at the top of the forum.

I agree with what has been stated in regards to your scale.

As you stated you have weighed hundreds of pennies (actually cents not pennies), I am curious as to why you would be doing this? I have a scientific scale that is so sensitive I have to shut the windows, turn off any fans and HVAC, and use the wind screen as my motion in the room or my breathing will affect the weight of the object on the scale, but I have very rarely found a need in which I had to weigh a coin for any reason so I am just curious as to why you are purposefully weighing so many coins other than as to your question immediately turning to worth?

Sans a reverse photo, your cent appears to be well worn and if the reverse is just as worn that can figure into the coin having a lower weight and may have been struck from a slightly thinner planchet as well.

I tell you, I would gladly forward a five-cent piece for your cent [if you feel you were hoodwinked into accepting it] but I am afraid any kindness I should prefer to bestow on you would, realistically, only stave off the inevitable bankruptcy of the U.S. Postal Service.  Drat!

Special mention: @powermad5000 for inserting the French preposition, "sans" (without) correctly and seamlessly into a thread. (thumbsu

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die polishing.

On 10/7/2024 at 10:39 PM, JPerk1966 said:

Yes.

Can you tell me anything?

Ozempic?