• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion of my 2016 P Theodore Roosevelt Quarter
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Greetings, 
As a recent enthusiast, I've come across a 2016 P Theodore Roosevelt Quarter with a few potential die cracks. I'm eager to get your insights on the coin's grade and potential value if sold to a dealer or another individual. 
I've circled the areas I believe to be die cracks in the attached images. Please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken or add any insights you may have and I appreciate any critique of my post so I may learn from all of you.  
Coin Specifications:
 * Weight: 5.70g
 * Width: 23.81mm
Thank you for your expertise and assistance!"

Screenshot_20241007_051617_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20241007_052207_Photos.jpg

IMG_20241007_044000_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20241007_043744_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20241007_043908_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Your given weight and dimensions are normal of a typical quarter of this date an mintmark struck which ideally would be a weight of 5.67g and diameter of 24.3mm so your quarter falls nearly in line with the desired mint tolerance.

When scrolling down through your photos, at first upon seeing the obverse and reverse I did not notice any die cracks on either side of the coin. Die cracks present themselves on the surface of a coin as a raised line and typically this is not a straight line either. Once I saw the photos with the areas of interest pointed out, I realized you are looking at some very minor die chips. The quarters from the statehood series and beyond this quarter you have presented have been plagued with minor die chips and minor strike thru's, none of which add any premium to your quarter from a collectors standpoint. The Mint was cranking these out at a rate of around 225,000,000 per year and the Mint chose quantity over quality when producing so many pieces per year. Dies were typically overused and were used typically to the point of failure.

Additionally, your quarter exhibits some very light circulation issues in the form of small dings and very light scratches. Collectors of these modern pieces only seek ones in the best conditions possible with grades typically above MS 67. Your quarter would likely grade MS 64 with all the minor dings and scratches it has.

Lastly, I would only question what learning resources you are using that would have pointed you in the direction that these die chips were incorrectly identified as die cracks. Be advised there is more misinformation on the internet regarding numismatics than there is good, solid, reliable information. There are simply too many hucksters trying to peddle damage as errors and numismatic wannabes that learn one term and suddenly are a coin expert. As someone recently entering the hobby, I strongly suggest you read the following article by renowned numismatist Jeff Garrett about misinformation in the hobby. 

Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics