• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

97 Dime P
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Did I finally find something in my pocket change thats interesting to someone other than myself? What can you tell me about this? 

It appears to be off center slightly, and the right side has a noticable ridge on the edge, it's slightly thicker then a normal dime and I first thought it was larger in diameter then a normal dime but realized it's actually just not exactly circular.

Screenshot_20241006-155643.png

Screenshot_20241006-155639.png

Screenshot_20241006-155631.png

You didn’t show the reverse (always show both sides of the coin) so I can’t tell if it is    
off centre or a misaligned die. In either case it is within spec so there is no premium.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

There is nothing notable about the Roosevelt dime you have posted here.

Without having a photo of the reverse, and I would be pretty confident as a collector of these coins, that it was struck slightly off center on the obverse which is from a slightly misaligned obverse die. The planchet stock it was struck from was most likely slightly thicker than some or many other dimes but that is normal in the production process where the mint cranked out just short of one billion of these in that year. As for the edge, the amount of cladding showing is always variable. It "appears" to be out of round to you from the misaligned die, but I see nothing to suggest this coin is nothing but a typical coin that was struck in the collar.

The only time a coin is an error from a die misalignment is when a portion of the coin's details are missing which is not the case on this coin.