• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 error?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  

What I see at the back of Lincoln's neck is a scrape that would have occurred after the coin was struck and which is accordingly not a mint error. Such a scrape may have occurred from contact with machinery used in the roll wrapping or coin counting processes or otherwise during the distribution process.

I have collected and studied U.S. coins for over 53 years and have no recollection of previously seeing the term "debris error". Are you perhaps referring to a coin that was struck through "grease" or other foreign matter, which is referred to as a "strikethrough"?

Please bear in mind that because something about a coin looks unusual, that does not mean that it is a "mint error"! The vast majority of coins that we see on this forum that are claimed to be "mint errors" are coins that were damaged after they left the mint or exhibit minor anomalies that are common and to be expected on coins that are mass produced for circulation. There is a great deal of misinformation about coins on the internet, especially regarding purported "mint errors". Please read the following recent article by a prominent coin dealer: Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com).

Agree with Sandon  that it is probably a scrape. It certainly didn’t happen when the coin was struck.   
Please define” debris error”, where did you hear that term.

Gentlemen,  my take on "debris field" is in its generic sense, unexplained marks or blemishes and not as an accepted industry-wide term.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I see raised metal on the edges of the disturbance on the obverse of this Lincoln cent which indicates that metal was either pushed, or scraped, or both to make that disturbance. Exactly how that happened may never be able to be figured out, but the point is that it is damage to the cent and not an error.

It is also not a strikethrough error which would not have the raised metal around the edges as it would have been flattened or shaped to the coins details by the strike.

I as well have never heard the term "debris error" and also would like to know where you heard that term?