• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 p dime
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Whoever sold you this has no idea what a "die chip" is or doesn't care. Your 2002-P dime suffered severe edge damage--note the displaced metal--and is worth its ten-cent face value.

A die chip appears as a small, raised blob on the surface of a coin. Die chips are quite common and generally not worth a premium to collectors. Here are some examples:

1. 2015-P Roosevelt dime with several small die chips in Roosevelt's hair and another near his chin, as well as having been struck through "grease":

2015-Pdimefilleddieobv..thumb.jpg.faf1d6b4be12341c3ce1ce565bedc4df.jpg

2. 1957-D Lincoln cent with die chips clogging the lower portion of the "B" in "LIBERTY" and resembling a partial "I" between the "B" and "E":

1957-DpartialBIEcent.thumb.jpg.e0c1221fae552da96bf6e411790faf1b.jpg

Back in the 1960s and 70s there was a fad of collecting cents where die chips created the resemblance of an "I" between the "B" and "E" in "LIBERTY". These were known as "BIE" or "LIBIERTY" cents. The fad died out when collectors realized how common such coins are. They are discussed in the following topic:

As a new collector, it is very important that you learn what the coins you want to collect are supposed to look like and what they are worth. If you don't, dishonest and ignorant sellers will take advantage of you!

Edited by Sandon

On 10/4/2024 at 9:25 AM, tina rivera said:

Hello.. Happy Friday i have a 2002p dime stated as die chip can anyone confim

Resized_20241004_102038.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20241003_174623.jpeg

Nope. Tain't.

You need to provide us with better fully cropped photos of your coins that you have questions about. These photos are too small to see what you want us to see and we are seeing more of the cardboard flip than we are of the coin in it.

From what I can see, I see rim damage on the reverse of the coin. I see Roosaveltte spelled wrong. It is Roosevelt. As far as seeing a die chip on the obverse, I cannot see anything with the provided photo. I would need one properly cropped to comment on the obverse.