• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roosevelt Dimes
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Question for the group. As a newbie to coin collecting, I've run into several Dimes from 2017 to 2021 that have double strikes on either the letters or dates. Is this a norm for Dimes of that time period, or are my eyes fooling me?

What you are most likely seeing is machine doubling. It is caused by a die being loose and moving minutely when the coin is struck. It adds no value to the coin. It is much like 'chatter' when your tool is not solid when using a lathe.

On 10/2/2024 at 8:57 AM, BigRoy said:

Question for the group. As a newbie to coin collecting, I've run into several Dimes from 2017 to 2021 that have double strikes on either the letters or dates. Is this a norm for Dimes of that time period, or are my eyes fooling me?

Please post a couple of sharp, tightly cropped photos as examples.

On 10/2/2024 at 7:57 AM, BigRoy said:

I know you’ll take this wrong. I’m not trying to be mean, just brutally honest. I will bet you are using too much magnification and your observations are completely uninteresting to collectors. 

I get it. I just wish there was a class on the topic so I could be more informed and not wanting to waste collectors time, nor do I want to waste my money sending a coin to be graded when what I'm seeing is an illusion. You Tube videos doesn't always provide the best answer. 

Edited by BigRoy

Hello and welcome to the forum!

On 10/2/2024 at 10:59 PM, BigRoy said:

You Tube videos doesn't always provide the best answer.

This is the WORST place you could look to try to find an answer for anything involving numismatics unless you are looking at material from NGC, PCGS, ANACS, ANA, CONECA, or the US Mint or US Treasury. The rest of any numismatic videos on YouTube are simply not accurate or legitimate.

As a collector of these dimes and I have many of the modern ones already graded, I can tell you from experience without photos that most likely you are looking at one of the many common forms of mechanical/strike doubling or of die deterioration doubling. While there may be some very minor varieties listed on Wexler's for the time period you specified, they are not recognized major varieties that would be attributable by a TPG. Looking on NGC's Variety Plus, the last doubled variety listed is for a 1970 D DDR. This is why I say for the time period you specified, with the Mint cranking out 1,437,500,000 for just the 2017 P dime alone, this level of production led to the Mint choosing quantity over quality and thus there are just too many instances on these modern dimes of strike or die deterioration doubling seen as merely poor quality control. 

You can feel free to post pictures of one of these dimes in question here, but I highly doubt there will be something that would need to be sent to a service for further inspection.

Wow! Very informative on your explanation.  I truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Sometimes I hate starting something new when I'm a true novice at it. One day I know I will get there and become a SME, but in the meantime, I have to rely on videos, word of mouth and any formal training (if any available). 

I'll post a Pic of the Dime of what I see and would appreciate your feedback. I just don't want to waste anybody's time brother!

Thanks again.

On 10/3/2024 at 7:19 AM, BigRoy said:

Wow! Very informative on your explanation.  I truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Sometimes I hate starting something new when I'm a true novice at it. One day I know I will get there and become a SME, but in the meantime, I have to rely on videos, word of mouth and any formal training (if any available). 

I'll post a Pic of the Dime of what I see and would appreciate your feedback. I just don't want to waste anybody's time brother!

Thanks again.

If you truly want to invest in the knowledge that this hobby requires, go to www.money.org and search for ‘Numismatic Diploma Program’ in the search bar. It can now be done online, whereas it used to be a mailed set of correspondence courses. 

On 10/3/2024 at 7:19 AM, BigRoy said:

I just don't want to waste anybody's time brother!

You are not wasting anybody's time here in trying to gain broader knowledge of numismatics. And this is the best place to come to learn. Leave the videos behind. There are many who stay in the background and simply read threads here and learn from them. Here you can learn a ton!

Especially for me, you surely aren't wasting my time. I love talking about coins and while I may not know everything about this hobby and never will, I feel what I do know I should share for the greater good, or what is the point of me being here. I want to do what I can to pass on whatever knowledge I have.

On 10/3/2024 at 9:58 PM, BigRoy said:

Thank you! That means a lot. I will definitely keep learning, acquiring knowledge, at the  same time, really enjoying this hobby! So much to learn, but I will take advice from folks like you and others that have been in the game long enough. 

While it costs money and a commitment of time the ANA offers classes at their summer seminars.   Probably the best education you could hope to get other than working in a coin shop.