• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this silver kennedy 1964 coin edge reeding look normal
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hi 

I have bought a Philadelphia mint 1964 Kennedy silver half dollar and i have doubts about its authenticity due to reeded edge looking differently. Also weight is 12.64g which is bit over 12.5g but looks to be in margin of error. Is this a normal edge reed for this type of coin?

k1964reed1.jpg

k1964reed2.jpg

k19641.jpg

k19642.jpg

It is not uncommon to see circulation strike coins with narrow reeding and beveled edges like those on the 1964 half dollar in question here. Your images of the obverse and reverse show nothing unusual, except that the obverse shows noticeable hairlining from having been wiped or otherwise abrasively "cleaned". The tolerance for 1947-64 half dollars was plus or minus 0.259 gram, so the coin could have weighed as much as 12.759 grams and been within tolerance.

Proofs usually have squarer, sharper edges than circulation strikes, but I can't tell whether the coin whose edge you are showing for comparison is a proof or a circulation strike without seeing the obverse and reverse.

🐓 :  The hobby has changed, Quintus.

Q.A.:  It certainly has!  Never would I have expected to see proof coins disinterred from their Original Government Packaging!  In fact, I believe the photos posted are the first time I have ever seen of a proof coin held in someone's hand!  That would have been unthinkable back in the day when the coins were minted.

As a general rule, Proof coins are not handled.  You did not mention your coin was a Proof in your opening post and, quite frankly, the '64-D circ. strike looks better than the '64 "Proof" from Philly. I take it this coin was sold to you loose. Be sure to place your coin in a protective holder or flip.  It's care-free barnstorming days are over.

I do not know if this coin was "graded," or if any other representation was made to you at point of sale, but its silver melt value, presently, is $11.42.  

P.S.  I would not attempt to clean this coin.  It is better off enjoying the best life has to offer it, as is.  Cheers!  🤣

Thank you for the advice, bought it for 12.5 euro in loose condition. I didn’t know that it was a proof coin because haven’t seen any before 😅. Just wanted a good looking Kennedy silver coin to own and not much over melt price.

On 10/2/2024 at 9:27 AM, AleksP said:

Thank you for your answers, it has sharper edges so must be a proof coin. 
That puts end to my fears 🙏☺️

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! This is a FALSE diagnostic!

On 10/3/2024 at 8:09 AM, AleksP said:

Thank you for the advice, bought it for 12.5 euro in loose condition. I didn’t know that it was a proof coin because haven’t seen any before 😅. Just wanted a good looking Kennedy silver coin to own and not much over melt price.

Neither of the coins pictured above are proofs.

On 10/4/2024 at 4:34 AM, AleksP said:

Main thing for me is to know if the first coins reeds are normal or should i be worried about it being fake. 

Trust me on this: edge reeding NORMALLY varies somewhat widely. It is NOT a useful diagnostic.

The 1964-D half dollar you used for comparison is not and could not be a proof, as all 1964 proofs were struck at the Philadelphia mint (no mint mark) not at the Denver mint ("D" mintmark). I said that proofs usually have squarer edges than circulation strikes but couldn't tell what the comparison coin was without seeing its obverse and reverse. You should not have jumped to the conclusion that your comparison coin was a proof. The proofs were all issued in packaged proof sets (3.95 million issued), while an additional 273.3 million 1964 Kennedy half dollars were struck at the Philadelphia mint alone for circulation, though most were saved for their silver content or as tributes to President Kennedy.

I'm not sure what there was to "fear", as your common and "cleaned" apparently genuine coin is only worth its silver value (currently $11.68), which at current exchange rates would be about 10.6 euros, so you overpaid slightly.